Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Gartha Brindoid <ga...@yahoo.com> on 2003/07/17 20:20:34 UTC

Re: File Upload size restriction ??

I'm experiencing the EXACT same problem (Win2000, Struts
1.1 RC 1, Weblogic 7, Sun JDK 1.3.1_07).

I've noticed that if my input forward is a simple JSP, it
works fine.  Also, it works fine if the input forward is a
tile definition which simply specifies a JSP, like this:

    <definition name="tile.struts.upload.upload"
path="/upload.jsp"/>

However, it hangs if I try to get fancy and use some
inheritance in my definitions, like this:

   <definition name="tile.struts.upload.upload"
extends="tile.main">
       <put name="window.title.key"
value="key.title.window.home"/>
       <put name="body.tile"
value="tile.struts.upload.upload.body"/>
   </definition>
   <definition name="tile.struts.upload.upload.body"
extends="tile.main.body.internalTitle">
       <put name="title.key"/>
       <put name="content.tile" value="/upload.jsp"/>
   </definition>

It does eventually come back with the error message, but
only after 5 - 10 minutes (and I see the second request
just like Nico mentioned).  If I switch to JRockit 1.3.1,
it hangs forever (well, at least as long as lunch :-)

Nicolas, have you or anyone else discovered a
solution/workaround?  Thanks!

best,

garthabrindoid

Nicolas De Loof wrote:
> That's what I was trying to do and discovered that upload
> behaviour changes when going over Struts configured
> file-size limit (4Mo in my case).
>
> With a 3Mo file it works fine. With a 4,4Mo file I get
> errors on logs but upload goes on in the browser, and
> after a  long while (3 minutes) I get others validate()
> logs (related with no-file errors) and the errors are
> displayed on browser.
>
> I don't understand why I get TWO TIMES validate() logs !!
>
> If i set the size-limit to "6M", 4,4Mo upload works well
> in less than a seconds, but a  10Mo upload takes more
than
> 5 minutes. I get file-size error logs in the first
request

Posted by Nicolas De Loof <ni...@cgey.com>.
I submited a bug on bugzilla for this. I discovered that I get this strange "freeze" when generated HTML is *long*. As I
use the validator, I restricted the generated javascript to the 3 functions we use on the webapp and it works. If I add
some hundred of basic HTML at JSP end, if freeze.

You should try to limit generated HTML size, until someone founds the problem (no idea for myself, neither reading the
code nor using a debugger).

Nico.