Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com> on 2018/06/05 00:47:28 UTC

discuss: stop adding 'via' from CHANGES.txt entries (take two)

I raised this issue a few years ago, and no consensus was reached [1]

I'm asking if we can take the time to revisit the issue. Back then it
was subversion days, and you had "patch-uploaders" and "contributors".
With git now, I believe the situation is even a bit more extreme,
because the committer is the contributor and the lucene "committer"
was really the "pusher".

On the other hand, there were some reasons against removing this
before. In particular some mentioned that it conveyed meaning about
who might be the best person to ping about a particular area of the
code. If this is still the case, I'd ask that we discuss alternative
ways that it could be accomplished (such as wiki page perhaps
linked-to HowToContribute that ppl can edit).

I wrote a new summary/argument inline, but see the linked thread for
the previous discussion:

In the past CHANGES.txt entries from a contributor have also had the
name of the committer with a 'via' entry.

e.g.:

LUCENE-1234: optimized FooBar. (Jane Doe via Joe Schmoe).

I propose we stop adding the committer name (via Joe Schmoe). It seems
to diminish the value of the contribution. It reminds me of a
professor adding a second author by default or something like that. If
someone really wants to know who committed the change, I think its
fair that they look at version control history?

1. http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-dev/201206.mbox/%3CCAOdYfZW65MXrzyRPsvBD0C6c4X%2BLuQX4oVec%3DyR_PCPgTQrnhQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E

Re: discuss: stop adding 'via' from CHANGES.txt entries (take two)

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
I agree with Mark that it is a huge and important part of keeping Lucene/Solr a welcoming
community, that the existing committers take time to guide contributors. Keeping the "via"
part of the changelog also makes it very easy to spot potential candiates for committership,
and avoid the "I thought he/she was already a committer" type of comments we've seen :)

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

Posted by Joel Bernstein <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
I  have the same opinion as last time. Taking ownership of actually
committing something to the code base is an important attribution and that
is why it has been included in CHANGES. I don't agree that it takes away
credit at all - via means the commit went through you, which is an accurate
reflection of things. Committing others work is a major contribution and
should be called out, for the positives that it creates as well as the
responsibility for that change you have undertaken by being a very key part
of the via route.

- Mark

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 8:10 AM Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't have much of an opinion about "via" one way or the other,
> however I think we should avoid using the mental model of authorship
> for CHANGES.txt.
> We've generally been listing people who made meaningful contributions
> to the patch, including sometimes the person who opened the issue for
> example.
>
> -Yonik

- Mark
about.me/markrmiller

Re: discuss: stop adding 'via' from CHANGES.txt entries (take two)

Posted by Alan Woodward <ro...@gmail.com>.
+1 to Robert’s suggestion

Posted by Adrien Grand <jp...@gmail.com>.
+1 to remove the name of the pusher from the changelog

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Robert:

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
+1 to remove via if it's a stupid merge.

But there are cases where the patch is taken and improved by the committer. In that case the committer should be added with a comma only.

Uwe

--
Uwe Schindler
Achterdiek 19, 28357 Bremen

Re: discuss: stop adding 'via' from CHANGES.txt entries (take two)

Posted by Gus Heck <gu...@gmail.com>.
FWIW As a non-committer contributor I don't mind the "via". Seems legit to

http://www.the111shift.com

Re: discuss: stop adding 'via' from CHANGES.txt entries (take two)

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@gmail.com>.
> +1 to remove via; who actually pushed the change is (or should be) unimportant,

I don't care much for credit and am pretty much indifferent to any of
these options. The way I see it is that 'via'  is not much
of a credit but a *responsibility* -- the committer should have
reviewed the change she or he is contributing on behalf of the
non-committer. Sure, git history is fine too but note that it's not
ideal -- it may not mention the actual contributor of a patch
if it's a manual application of a diff file and in cases like this
it'd require more complex processing than just scanning through
CHANGES.txt.... so I'd opt for simplicity of keeping it together in
CHANGES.txt (easier to scan through, doesn't take any
credit away from the author), but I'll live with any decision.

Dawid

Re: discuss: stop adding 'via' from CHANGES.txt entries (take two)

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.