Posted to user@syncope.apache.org by Jesse van Bekkum <be...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/21 09:11:08 UTC

Crash with memory leaks in threads

Hi

Our syncope installation has recently crashed a lot (in the end killing the
tomcat container), with errors like this one in Catalina.out:

*SEVERE: The web application [/syncope] appears to have started a thread
named [scheduler_Worker-9] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely
to create a memory leak.*

*Feb 13, 2013 5:41:26 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
clearReferencesThreads*

*SEVERE: The web application [/syncope] appears to have started a thread
named [scheduler_Worker-10] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely
to create a memory leak.*

*Feb 13, 2013 5:41:26 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
checkThreadLocalMapForLeaks*

*SEVERE: The web application [/syncope] created a ThreadLocal with key of
type [org.syncope.core.monitor.CacheMonitor$1] (value
[org.syncope.core.monitor.CacheMonitor$1@67ae7ead]) and a value of type
[java.text.DecimalFormat] (value [java.text.DecimalFormat@674dc]) but
failed to remove it when the web application was stopped. Threads are going
to be renewed over time to try and avoid a probable memory leak.*

*Feb 13, 2013 5:41:26 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
checkThreadLocalMapForLeaks*

*SEVERE: The web application [/syncope] created a ThreadLocal with key of
type [org.syncope.core.monitor.CacheMonitor$1] (value
[org.syncope.core.monitor.CacheMonitor$1@67ae7ead]) and a value of type
[java.text.DecimalFormat] (value [java.text.DecimalFormat@674dc]) but
failed to remove it when the web application was stopped. Threads are going
to be renewed over time to try and avoid a probable memory leak.*

We are still running 0.7 of syncope (yes, I know, I am updating, but it's a
difficult process...)

So my questions:

   - Anyone familiar with this error?
   - Is it fixed in the modern version of syncope?
   - Anybody know of an interim fix for the time being?

With regards

Jesse van Bekkum

Re: Crash with memory leaks in threads

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
Hi Jesse,
this issue is confirmed even in 1.1.0-SNAPSHOT; I've opened SYNCOPE-327
[1] for this.

Thanks for pointing out.
Regards.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYNCOPE-327