Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Vinay Nagrik <vn...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/25 02:48:08 UTC

Building First strut

Hello Group,

I am working with struts and following is what I have done already.

1. Downloaded tomcat, configured it, and it is running alright.

2. Downloaded struts unzipped, untarred it and copied necessary .jar files
from this directory into tomcat WEB-INF/lib directory.

3. Built web.xml for HelloWorld example and placed it under WEB-INF.

4. Built struts.xml file for HelloWorld and placed it under WEB-INF/classes
directory.

5. Wrote HelloWorld.java and compiled it.

I am stuck here.

Questions

Where to put HelloWorld.java, HelloWorld.jsp.

I downloaded Maven to work with struts but it did not compile for lack of
pom.xml. And there is no good example available. I copied the one on the
internet, but

Neither

mvn clean install

nor
mvn install

will compile

How do I create the .war files.

I need to start my first strut example and I will appreciate any help.
--
Thanks

Nagrik

Re: Building First strut

Posted by Nils-Helge Garli Hegvik <ni...@gmail.com>.
Well, if you're going to use Maven, you need a pom.xml file in your
project. The pom file is project specific, so if you don't have it,
you need to create it. If you use the maven archetype, as described in
the tutorial at http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/ready-set-go.html it
will be created for you, and the project structure will be set up. You
might want to take a look at the getting started guide for maven as
well (http://maven.apache.org/guides/getting-started/index.html).

Nils-H

Re: Building First strut

Posted by ryan webb <we...@gmail.com>.
Building first struts? You may use Netbeans 6.0 already has struts bundled
and everything you need to get started.
This is only a suggestion..you may or may not do this.

God bless,
Ryan Webb

RE: Building First strut

Re: Building First strut

Posted by Vinay Nagrik <vn...@gmail.com>.

RE: Building First strut

> > I started my download from the link you provided.  And that link
does
> not
> > give any info.  Your email did not help me.
>
> You are asking very vague questions.
>
> How familiar are you with Java web development? Are you planning on
using
> Ant
> or Maven?

I am very comfortable with Java prog. lang and I have worked with jsps
and
servlets extensively.  However, this is my first struts project.

If you are not using Maven creating an S2 web application is like
creating
> any other. Maven is a topic unto itself and the basics of it are
beyond
> the
> scope of the newsgroup, but looking at the sample applications may
point
> you
> in the right direction.

I have nothing agains using Maven, but it does not compile.  I
downloaded
Maven, tomcat, and struts.

My tomcat is up and running.
My Maven does not compile for lack of pom.xml and I do not know where to
get
it from.
I have followed the instructions on the strut page to create helloworld
struts
Created four files verbatim web.xml, struts.xml, helloworld.java,
helloworld.jsp.  Put all
.jar files form struts download in WEB-INF/lib, \
web.xml in WEB-INF
struts.xml in WEB-INF/classes and my helloworld.class in the
WEB-INF/classes.

Points to be noted.

my directory structure is

~/tomcat/webapps/examples (instead of tutorials)/WEB-INF/ and then other
classes
and other directories.
helloworld.java's  top line reads "package examples"  (I can take this
line
out if it creates
any confusion) and make it flat.

I am typing http://localhost:8080/examples/helloworld.action.  (Please
don't
mind the spelling
and upper/lower case of letters, they have been thoroughly checked.)

It gives the error message

"The requested resource (examples/Helloworld.action ) is not available.

If you're using Eclipse (or, I presume, most other IDEs) it's best to
let
> the
> IDE move config files from the source directory into WEB-INF/classes
> rather
> than creating the file there, just to avoid confusion.
>
> What issues, precisely, do you think you're having?
>
> Dave

Thanks

Nagrik

Re: Building First strut

Posted by Vinay Nagrik <vn...@gmail.com>.
Hello Dave,

On 4/25/08, Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Vinay Nagrik <vn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I started my download from the link you provided.  And that link does
> not
> > give any info.  Your email did not help me.
>
> You are asking very vague questions.
>
> How familiar are you with Java web development? Are you planning on using
> Ant
> or Maven?

I am very comfortable with Java prog. lang and I have worked with jsps and
servlets extensively.  However, this is my first struts project.

If you are not using Maven creating an S2 web application is like creating
> any other. Maven is a topic unto itself and the basics of it are beyond
> the
> scope of the newsgroup, but looking at the sample applications may point
> you
> in the right direction.

I have nothing agains using Maven, but it does not compile.  I downloaded
Maven, tomcat, and struts.

My tomcat is up and running.
My Maven does not compile for lack of pom.xml and I do not know where to get
it from.
I have followed the instructions on the strut page to create helloworld
struts
Created four files verbatim web.xml, struts.xml, helloworld.java,
helloworld.jsp.  Put all
.jar files form struts download in WEB-INF/lib, \
web.xml in WEB-INF
struts.xml in WEB-INF/classes and my helloworld.class in the
WEB-INF/classes.

Points to be noted.

my directory structure is

~/tomcat/webapps/examples (instead of tutorials)/WEB-INF/ and then other
classes
and other directories.
helloworld.java's  top line reads "package examples"  (I can take this line
out if it creates
any confusion) and make it flat.

I am typing http://localhost:8080/examples/helloworld.action.  (Please don't
mind the spelling
and upper/lower case of letters, they have been thoroughly checked.)

It gives the error message

"The requested resource (examples/Helloworld.action ) is not available.

If you're using Eclipse (or, I presume, most other IDEs) it's best to let
> the
> IDE move config files from the source directory into WEB-INF/classes
> rather
> than creating the file there, just to avoid confusion.
>
> What issues, precisely, do you think you're having?
>
> Dave

Thanks

Nagrik

RE: Building First strut

Posted by Brad A Cupit <br...@lsu.edu>.
Vinay Nagrik wrote:
> I started my download from the link you provided.  And that
> link does not give any info.

this is the direct link to the Blank war file:
http://www.devlib.org/apache/struts/examples/struts2-blank-2.0.11.war

you can put that in your web server (like Tomcat) and run it. war files
are just zip files, so you can unzip it and look at its contents as
well.

Brad Cupit
Louisiana State University - UIS

Re: Building First strut

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Building First strut

Posted by Vinay Nagrik <vn...@gmail.com>.

RE: Building First strut

Posted by Brad A Cupit <br...@lsu.edu>.

RE: Building First strut

Posted by "Berger, Michael " <mb...@Fairview.org>.
For what its worth, I was confused as to where to start also. I got
"Jakarta Struts for Dummies" and read that. I had to use Struts 1.1,
because the book is written for 1.1 ... From what I've read there is a
lot of changes from 1.x to 2.x, but this will give you a good starting
point. I thought the book is very good, and pretty inexpensive since its
so old. All the interrelationships between all these components are
explained very well.

Mike

Posted by Vinay Nagrik <vn...@gmail.com>.
I am using struts2.0.11.1.

I am thoroughly confused about the configuration and where goes what.  like

Re: Building First strut

Posted by aum strut <au...@gmail.com>.

Re: Building First strut

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.