Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Andrew Ballantine <ac...@willowbrook.co.uk> on 2007/01/03 16:06:18 UTC

RE: Community supported releases WAS [Re: Properly edited OFBizmanuals]

Daniel,

Thanks for the non-destructive response.

your suggestions
1. Excellent idea for the production install

2. Seriously good idea. I would be willing to have a crack at it with some
support from the community.

3. VMware might be slow unless on state of the art hardware.

Although several of you have stated that its really easy to install ofbiz.
It isn't for the uninitiated. My experience of installing Java is fraught
with problems. This is mainly due to the layout of Sun's database. OK if you
install java JDK every other day, but here's a sample of what happens:

Type java into google
choose Download java software (www.java.com/getjava/)
Just spot in time that this for the runtime version
No sign of JDK on this web page, go back to google
try Java technology(java.sun.com)
Still no sign of JDK, is it perhaps JAVA EE 5 SDK?
Still not confident that I am at the right location of the correct version.
If I am downloading afresh is it best to load 1.5 or 1.4, one must be a
better choice than the other.

OK I have already spent 30 mins, slowed down slightly by writing this at the
same time, and I still haven't completed step 1.

Therefore if the writer of "make sure you have Sun Java 1.4 or 1.5 (JDK, not
just JRE) installed" knew the correct location of the download page for the
correct download, quoting it would be most helpful.

Summary lists of what to do are exceedingly frustrating if they are vague
and unclear.

I am new to Java although I have programmed in quite a number of languages
so I have only done this loading of JDK once before and that was 2 years
ago.

I am sorry if you find this message irritating, but it is born out of
frustration to complete what should be a simple task, but is made difficult
because I do not have half the information that I need to do something I am
not familiar with.

Kind regards,

Andrew Ballantine.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <ti...@sastau.it>
> Andrew Ballantine wrote:
> > Although several of you have stated that its really easy to install ofbiz.
> > It isn't for the uninitiated. My experience of installing Java is fraught
> > with problems. This is mainly due to the layout of Sun's database. OK if you
> > install java JDK every other day, but here's a sample of what happens:
> >
> > Type java into google
> > choose Download java software (www.java.com/getjava/)
> > Just spot in time that this for the runtime version
> > No sign of JDK on this web page, go back to google
> > try Java technology(java.sun.com)
> > Still no sign of JDK, is it perhaps JAVA EE 5 SDK?
> > Still not confident that I am at the right location of the correct version.
> > If I am downloading afresh is it best to load 1.5 or 1.4, one must be a
> > better choice than the other.
> >
> > OK I have already spent 30 mins, slowed down slightly by writing this at the
> > same time, and I still haven't completed step 1.
> >
> > Therefore if the writer of "make sure you have Sun Java 1.4 or 1.5 (JDK, not
> > just JRE) installed" knew the correct location of the download page for the
> > correct download, quoting it would be most helpful.
> >
> > Summary lists of what to do are exceedingly frustrating if they are vague
> > and unclear.
> >
> > I am new to Java although I have programmed in quite a number of languages
> > so I have only done this loading of JDK once before and that was 2 years
> > ago.
> >
> > I am sorry if you find this message irritating, but it is born out of
> > frustration to complete what should be a simple task, but is made difficult
> > because I do not have half the information that I need to do something I am
> > not familiar with.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Andrew Ballantine.
> >

> Start from:
>
> http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index_jdk5.jsp
>
> then click on the "Dowload" button near "JDK 5.0 Update 10"
>
> Jacopo

The problem is that this kind of links tends to be very changeable...
But that's right that Sun is not facilitates the task !

Anyway I tried a Google search with "java sdk" and my second choice was
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

After that I tried to slighlty change the above link to
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.html
and I come automaitcally to this page
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index_jdk5.jsp

So maybe a way is to recommend to try to use/adapt this link
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

Jacques

RE: Community supported releases WAS [Re: Properly edited OFBizmanuals]

Posted by Andrew Ballantine <ac...@willowbrook.co.uk>.
Jacopo,

Thank you very much.

I will incorporate this into a full and details set of instructions when I
have figured it all out.

Thanks again for responding so quickly.

Kind regards,

Andrew Ballantine.

> Although several of you have stated that its really easy to install ofbiz.
> It isn't for the uninitiated. My experience of installing Java is fraught
> with problems. This is mainly due to the layout of Sun's database. OK if
you
> install java JDK every other day, but here's a sample of what happens:
>
> Type java into google
> choose Download java software (www.java.com/getjava/)
> Just spot in time that this for the runtime version
> No sign of JDK on this web page, go back to google
> try Java technology(java.sun.com)
> Still no sign of JDK, is it perhaps JAVA EE 5 SDK?
> Still not confident that I am at the right location of the correct
version.
> If I am downloading afresh is it best to load 1.5 or 1.4, one must be a
> better choice than the other.
>
> OK I have already spent 30 mins, slowed down slightly by writing this at
the
> same time, and I still haven't completed step 1.
>
> Therefore if the writer of "make sure you have Sun Java 1.4 or 1.5 (JDK,
not
> just JRE) installed" knew the correct location of the download page for
the
> correct download, quoting it would be most helpful.
>
> Summary lists of what to do are exceedingly frustrating if they are vague
> and unclear.
>
> I am new to Java although I have programmed in quite a number of languages
> so I have only done this loading of JDK once before and that was 2 years
> ago.
>
> I am sorry if you find this message irritating, but it is born out of
> frustration to complete what should be a simple task, but is made
difficult
> because I do not have half the information that I need to do something I
am
> not familiar with.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Andrew Ballantine.

Start from:

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index_jdk5.jsp

then click on the "Dowload" button near "JDK 5.0 Update 10"

Jacopo

14:58

Re: Community supported releases WAS [Re: Properly edited OFBizmanuals]

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
Scott,

I'm not quite sure what you mean... are you sure you _ever_ got an
email from Confluence? I don't believe I've ever seen such a thing...

If you have, could you forward it to me and I'll see what it is and
what's up with it?

If it was working a while back something could have been broken as
Confluence was moved to another server last week.

-David

Posted by Scott Gray <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
Andrew,

Posted by Andrew Ballantine <ac...@willowbrook.co.uk>.
Thanks Jacques,

I had noticed the comments over the POS problem.

Kind regards,

Andrew.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.