Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Bedrijven.nl" <ma...@bedrijven.nl> on 2004/09/10 14:15:42 UTC

Question about multiple instances instead virtual hosts

Hello,

Now I have a production server with tomcat 4.1.24. I have several
applications installed (in webapps) and sets them up as virtual hosts. I get
the idea that using multiple instances would work better for me. I read the
documentation but what I read is there are 2 possible solutions: for each
instance install a new Tomcat installation and second modify the
CATALINA_BASE directory. Now my questions:

How could I best setup the multiple instances?? And second question is: my
Tomcat webserver is standalone. That means handles all the http requests to
port 80. How can I make this work with more than one instance?? In other
words how do I establish that a http request (port 80) will go to the right
Tomcat instance??

Thanx in advanced,

Maarten