Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Te...@itsolicom.fi on 2002/03/18 09:45:28 UTC

how to avoid long strings exceeding table cell borders?

Hi everybody,

I am using FOP version 0.20.1 and have had a problem with long strings.
When a word is longer than the page is wide, FOP is "lending" space
from adjacent cells which is not wanted.

I have tried using attribute hyphenate, but I noticed that hyphenation does
not affect information fetched from a xml document using xsl xsl:value-of.

Does anyone know, if any improvements affecting this are made in newer
versions of FOP, or if there is any other way to solve the problem?

It would be enough to cut long words at cell borders.

-Teemu

I have a block in the XSL file

<fo:block font-family="Courier" font-size="10pt" font-weight="bold"
language="fi" hyphenate="true">
	<!-- hyphenate: tavutetaan sisalto. FOP-BUGI: xsl:value-of arvoa ei
osata tavuttaa -->
	<xsl:value-of select="lahetyksen_tiedot/paino_yhteensa"/>
</fo:block>

and these are the whole XML and XSL files

 <<palautusrahtikirja.xml>>  <<XSLfileForReturnConsignmentNote.xxx>>

____________________
Teemu Talja
Teemu.Talja@itsolicom.fi
Teemu.Talja@obin.fi
työpuhelin 0307 20138
GSM 040 55 43 156

Re: how to avoid long strings exceeding table cell borders?

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <je...@outline.ch>.
> I am using FOP version 0.20.1 and have had a problem with long strings.
> When a word is longer than the page is wide, FOP is "lending" space
> from adjacent cells which is not wanted.
>
> I have tried using attribute hyphenate, but I noticed that hyphenation does
> not affect information fetched from a xml document using xsl xsl:value-of.
>
> Does anyone know, if any improvements affecting this are made in newer
> versions of FOP, or if there is any other way to solve the problem?

Not at the moment. The "overflow" property normally controls this
behaviour. The problem is that it's not implement at the moment. I need
that, too. This is one of the problems I will need to solve within the
next 4 weeks. Maybe you check back later if your time doesn't run out.

> It would be enough to cut long words at cell borders.

Theoretically, you would do that using overflow="hidden".

Cheers,
Jeremias Märki

mailto:jeremias.maerki@outline.ch

OUTLINE AG
Tel. +41 41 317 2020 - Fax +41 41 317 2029
Internet http://www.outline.ch