Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Kiarna Boyd <ki...@silvercloudsoftware.com> on 2005/07/26 15:58:40 UTC

apache/tomcat/mysql cluster info request

Good Morning,

I'm looking for suggestions on a large scale tomcat cluster for one
deployed app.
I currently run our app happily with all server apps smushed on one
server. Apache webserver 2.0.52/mod_jk/tomcat5.0.28/mysql 4.1.7 on
Fedora Core 3.
My company wants to deploy a site that would generate a huge amount of
traffic. Lots of huge files, lot's of CPU use.

I've been reading the online resources for cluster set ups but I still
have some questions I'm hoping someone who has a successful cluster can
help with.

I'd like a set up that has redundant pipes, so a horizontal cluster on
all tiers is important for growth and fail over.
I'm trying to find information about a setup that uses a hardware
loadbalancer in front of multiple apache webservers that are in front
of mutliple tomcat app servers with a MySQL master/slave at the back.
I'm thinking the tomcat servers may need to be connected to the
application data filesystem via a NAS. I'm not sure about the
performance hit, but it is critical that the data served is shared.

I've read a bunch of great articles on using the apache webserver as
the loadbalancer for the tomcat cluster, but I'm concerned about the
webserver failing. Plus I use the webserver tier for rewrite
flexibility.
I think I want to start with two of each tier(web server, application
server, database server), with multiple tomcat engines running on the
application servers on some memory rich hardware.
 From my current setup my load tests have always shown the bottleneck to
be java memory use (jdk 1.5)

Thank you for your time.

-Kiarna