Posted to jdo-dev@db.apache.org by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@gmail.com> on 2021/01/31 17:48:05 UTC

[INFO] DB Project report for February 2021

The mission of the Apache DB project is to create and maintain
commercial-quality, open-source, database solutions based on software licensed
to the Foundation, for distribution at no charge to the public.

The Apache DB TLP consists of the following subprojects:
 o Derby    : a relational database implemented entirely in Java.
 o JDO      : focused on building the API and the TCK for compatibility
              testing of Java Data Object implementations providing data
              persistence.
 o Torque   : an object-relational mapper for Java.

## Issues:
My apologies for missing the DB project report in January. I had
a family health emergency and was completely offline for the two
week period prior to the Board meeting, missing multiple
reminders from both Board members and DB team members. Thanks
all for your concern, my parents are well and back home now.

There are no issues requiring board attention.

## Membership Data:
Apache DB was founded 2002-07-16 (19 years ago)
There are currently 47 committers and 45 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 1:1.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members. Last addition was Georg Kallidis on 2020-08-26.
- Tobias Bouschen was added as committer on 2021-01-19

## Project Activity:
Torque team have addressed two recently reported security warnings
in module dependencies (CVE-2020-8908 and CVE-2020-9488)
by upgrading to the fixed version of the relevant packages. Note
that these were not security problems in the Torque code itself,
rather they were out of date versions of log4j2 and guava that
were being used by Torque.

The JDO project are continuing to evolve the web presence.
We successfully migrated the site to a combination of GitHub Actions
and ASF processing to automatically publish "source" changes
to the web site.

We are working toward a JDO 3.2 release, with a few items still
left to complete.

## Community Health:
All of the DB project teams experienced normal or higher activity
levels during this quarter. Community members were busy answering
user questions, fixing bugs, improving documentation, readying
releases, etc. In the previous quarter we thought activity levels
were a bit lower, but they seem to have resumed their normal
pace this quarter.