Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org> on 2006/07/18 05:30:27 UTC

Moving chianti to trunk

With the vote in favour of switching, I am about to start moving
chianti into trunk. I will move the current sca parts into a branch
(branches/pre-chianti) and move the chianti code into trunk. I will
make the version in the poms 1.0-SNAPSHOT like the SDO tree.

I expect to complete this tomorrow or possibly Wed if there are build
issues. If anyone has a bunch of uncommitted changes or a big patch
for submission please speak up soon to avoid merge issues.

Thanks
--
Jeremy

Re: Moving chianti to trunk

Posted by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com>.
On Jul 19, 2006, at 9:19 AM, Simon Nash wrote:

> [...]
>>> potential users as well.  I think we need to strike a balance
>>> between the needs of developers and users.  We met some
>>> potential users at ApacheCon, and I expect that we will meet
>>> more at OSCON.  For now we can point them to M1, but given
>>> our desire to focus around a single codebase that is actively
>>> being enhanced, I would expect that we would want to be able to
>>> start to point these people to the new codebase in the fairly
>>> near future.
>> And we should. In fact, I would point them at the "new" code now,
>> not  just in the future. That is the codebase chosen by the
>> community.  That is our code.
> Seems like we are in agreement about this.  The short-term
> difficulty we have right now is that some things that used to
> work in the M1 code don't currently work in chianti.  This would
> be an issue for users who want to build applications using Tuscany.
>
>> If you believe the decision to adopt chianti as our code to be in
>> error, you are free to ask the community to reconsider, although
>> I  believe the vote last week accurately expressed the community
>> will  (as willful an act as it may have been ;-) ).
> I voted in favour of this adoption and I would much prefer us to
> continue to move forward and not move backwards.
>
>> Of course, people can also resort to M1 if they prefer to
>> experiment  with the .9 version of the SCA specification or
>> features specific to  that milestone.
> This is not what I had in mind.  Right now they would need to revert
> to M1 if they wanted to work with Web service bindings or Tomcat
> integration.  I think it is undesirable that these features are
> currently coupled to the use of the 0.9 spec version.
>

>>> Even from a developer community standpoint, I think there is
>>> considerable value in maintaining a working base level of
>>> functionality that can support end-to-end scenarios.  This
>>> allows developers creating new code to exercise that code in
>>> the context of real-world usage, in addition to unit tests.
>>>
>> I would imagine there is unanimous agreement on this point as we
>> are  working hard to add "real-world" functionality that interests
>> members  of the community.
> Excellent.
>
>> Based on your statements, it sounds as if there is functionality
>> you  would like to see added. The somewhat, although not
>> completely,  flippant response to this is: Thanks for volunteering!
>> If you would like to see a particular set of functionality in
>> Tuscany  you can either request it (preferably in JIRA) or develop
>> it and  submit a patch. Depending on the importance of the feature
>> to the  community, I suspect the latter approach has a higher
>> probability of  success in the short-term. It is also the option I
>> would personally  prefer as it expands the active, contributing
>> segment of the community.
> Sounds good.  I'll probably start with JIRAs and then get deeper into
> the codebase so that I can start developing and submitting patches.

Great. Let me know how I can help with any questions.

Jim

Re: Moving chianti to trunk

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.
Comments inline below.

   Simon

Re: Moving chianti to trunk

Posted by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com>.
On Jul 19, 2006, at 8:41 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> Jim Marino wrote:
>> On Jul 19, 2006, at 2:07 AM, Simon Nash wrote:
>>> I wasn't asking for an "official" policy statement on this, and
>>> I wasn't suggesting that we stop all innovation and move into a
>>> phase where we only work on things that were part of M1.
>>>
>>> By releasing M1, we moved from a phase of focusing purely on
>>> the developer community into a phase of starting to attract
>>> potential users as well.  I think we need to strike a balance
>>> between the needs of developers and users.  We met some
>>> potential users at ApacheCon, and I expect that we will meet
>>> more at OSCON.  For now we can point them to M1, but given
>>> our desire to focus around a single codebase that is actively
>>> being enhanced, I would expect that we would want to be able to
>>> start to point these people to the new codebase in the fairly
>>> near future.
>> And we should. In fact, I would point them at the "new" code now,
>> not just in the future. That is the codebase chosen by the
>> community. That is our code.
>> If you believe the decision to adopt chianti as our code to be in
>> error, you are free to ask the community to reconsider, although I
>> believe the vote last week accurately expressed the community will
>> (as willful an act as it may have been ;-) ).
>> Of course, people can also resort to M1 if they prefer to
>> experiment with the .9 version of the SCA specification or
>> features specific to that milestone.
>
> If history is any guide, the path that has been chosen will result
> in another revolution in a year or so's time, reverting a number of
> architectural decisions that have been made with this revolution.
> However, not *all* will be lost as much of the additions will also
> have been retained.  What will have been lost is much time.
>
> The Rules for Revolutionaries was penned in a time when Tomcat 4
> was poised to replace Tomcat 3.  Tomcat 5 was the inevitable result.
>
>>> Even from a developer community standpoint, I think there is
>>> considerable value in maintaining a working base level of
>>> functionality that can support end-to-end scenarios.  This
>>> allows developers creating new code to exercise that code in
>>> the context of real-world usage, in addition to unit tests.
>> I would imagine there is unanimous agreement on this point as we
>> are working hard to add "real-world" functionality that interests
>> members of the community.
>> Based on your statements, it sounds as if there is functionality
>> you would like to see added. The somewhat, although not
>> completely, flippant response to this is: Thanks for volunteering!
>
> Votes work best when the victors are understanding and gracious.
> This response treads awfully near towards being rather gloating.
Sorry if it sounds gloating but it was not intended that way. First,
I wouldn't characterize the vote or decision as a matter of "victors"
or "winners".  More importantly, my point was to reiterate that if
someone feels a particular piece of functionality important, words
backed by contributions go further than words alone.

>> If you would like to see a particular set of functionality in
>> Tuscany you can either request it (preferably in JIRA) or develop
>> it and submit a patch. Depending on the importance of the feature
>> to the community, I suspect the latter approach has a higher
>> probability of success in the short-term. It is also the option I
>> would personally prefer as it expands the active, contributing
>> segment of the community.
>
> Votes in the ASF imply a level of commitment.  They mean "I will
> stand behind this course of action and make it work", not "Hey! I
> won! Deal with it!".

And I think my actions and contributions adding functionality to
chianti have demonstrated this.

> If there are things that used to work in the M1 trunk that aren't
> yet handled completely in Chianti, then I fully expect those that
> participated in this vote to pro-actively and expediently work to
> close those gaps.
That was exactly my point. That's why I've been working on closing
the gap in areas I deem to be the most pressing (which may receive a
different priority by others and they may choose to approach it
differently).

Re: Moving chianti to trunk

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Jim Marino wrote:

> [...]

response treads awfully near towards being rather gloating.

> If you would like to see a particular set of functionality in Tuscany
> you can either request it (preferably in JIRA) or develop it and submit
> a patch. Depending on the importance of the feature to the community, I
> suspect the latter approach has a higher probability of success in the
> short-term. It is also the option I would personally prefer as it
> expands the active, contributing segment of the community.

Votes in the ASF imply a level of commitment.  They mean "I will stand
behind this course of action and make it work", not "Hey! I won! Deal
with it!".

If there are things that used to work in the M1 trunk that aren't yet
handled completely in Chianti, then I fully expect those that
participated in this vote to pro-actively and expediently work to close
those gaps.  And with an eye towards giving the benefit of the doubt to

Re: Moving chianti to trunk

Posted by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com>.

Re: Moving chianti to trunk

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.

Re: Moving chianti to trunk

Posted by Kenneth Tam <ke...@gmail.com>.

Re: Moving chianti to trunk

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.

Re: Moving chianti to trunk

Posted by Rick <cr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Moving chianti to trunk

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.
Yes, that would be very useful.  Also we could make up some design
documentation from abstracts of this discussion.

Also, I am wondering if it would make sense to move Chianti in phases as the
design issues are discussed, sorted out and implemented.  For example we
could target to have a basic HelloWorld working, which demonstrates how
compose components, start the runtime, deploy a composite (or should I say
module) and the client programming model to invoke the services.  If this is
the target then we identify the blocks that would be required for this and
expedite towards making this available in the trunk.  What I mean by
expedite is the entire community prioritizes to work in a concerted way
towards this.  This Once we make this base then the community can get on to
the things that interests them.

There is another perspective I come to this from - assuming the user world
has got a hang of SCA through our M1 release, they would be eager to follow
up on the developments.  If the architecture and model has changed, let it
be so, but then can they try this change rightaway from a version of code
from the trunk even if it is just a HelloWorld for now.  Or do we ask them
to wait till we get something bulkier with serveral extension types and
containers plugged and working?  I would say the former because we need to
keep the interest sustained, especially now that we have some critiques
blogging us down.

Thanks.

- Venkat

Re: Moving chianti to trunk

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.
Jeremy,

Re: Moving chianti to trunk

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
On Jul 17, 2006, at 11:12 PM, Venkata Krishnan wrote:

> Hi Jeremy, I have two patches one in SDO-Impl and another in SCA-Tools
> (Java2WSDL tooling) that need to be reviewed  and applied to M1+.
> The Jiras
> are Tuscany-535 and Tuscany-120 respectively.   But then they are
> to applied
> over M1+.  Also,  what is the plan for sca-tools in Chianti?

SDO will not be affected (chianti uses a link to SDO from trunk).

The SCA tools only seem to use the XMLUtil class from the model
modules. I would suggest we move the code they need from there (the
name mangling AIUI) into tools and leave them otherwise unchanged.

--
Jeremy

Re: Moving chianti to trunk

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.

Re: [PATCH] Patch for databinding was: Re: Moving chianti to trunk

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
On Jul 18, 2006, at 10:18 AM, Raymond Feng wrote:

> Hi, Jeremy.
>
> Can you try this patch? It seems that in your environment the SAX
> XMLReader may have a different feature settings on "namespaces" or
> "namespace-prefixes". With the patch, I enforce them by:
>
> reader.setFeature("http://xml.org/sax/features/namespaces",
> true); // Default to true
> reader.setFeature("http://xml.org/sax/features/namespace-prefixes",
> false); // Default to false
> Thanks,

Thanks - it works now
Patch applied.

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I can run the all the test cases successfully using "mvn clean install". Can
you post me the stacktrace?

The patch includes the following:

1) Refactor the transformer interfaces to have PullTransformer,
PushTransformer and DataPipe extend from Transformer
2) Add cache to shortest path to the graph
3) Add annotations for databinding
4) Add more transformer implementations
5) Improve Mediator interface and implementation (spinned off from
TransformerRegistryImpl) (To be integrated as a system service).
6) Add more test casses

Thanks,
Raymond

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.