Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Rory Winston <rw...@eircom.net> on 2006/01/28 21:36:15 UTC

[net] JDK 1.4+ Branch?

Hi

I have been following the email threads re: JSSE and FTPS functionality.
I think that this might be a good point to consider introducing a
version of Commons-Net that uses JDK 1.4+ as a baseline. My reasoning is
as follows:

* We could remove the (oro) jar dependency;
* FTPS support would not necessitate a separate (JSSE) jar dependency;
* It could be a good opportunity to "clean up" the threading code and
socket handling, and make use of NIO;
* It also may be easier to incrementally add new functionality, such as
Proxy support

Of course, JDK-1.3-compatible releases could still continue on HEAD, or
we could move the 1.4+ branch to HEAD and the 1.3 code to a maintenance
branch.

As a simple proof-of-concept, I have set up a sandbox branch and made
some minor enhancements, including:

* Changing oro-dependant code to use Java regex code instead

Any comments?

Re: [net] JDK 1.4+ Branch?

Posted by Steve Cohen <sc...@javactivity.org>.
Right.  That is the question we have to answer.

I guess I'm okay with it but I'm not quite a +1 yet until I understand
how much work is involved.  I notice a couple of the Jakarta Commons
projects do separate branches:

Collections and HttpClient.  There may be others, these were just the
ones visible at 1 click from the Downloads page.

It would certainly help us solve the FTPS issue.

Re: [net] JDK 1.4+ Branch?

Posted by Rory Winston <rw...@eircom.net>.
Steve

Re: [net] JDK 1.4+ Branch?