Posted to nmaven-dev@incubator.apache.org by Shane Isbell <sh...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/23 22:32:17 UTC

Future NMaven Roadmap

I've created the SI_MAVEN_INTEGRATION branch and will be working on a
version of NMaven that will integrate well with Maven. Most of the initial
work will come under the sandbox directory of this branch. For those wanting
to get up to speed on NMaven, this will be a good place to keep an eye and
to make suggestions about, or contributions to, the API, code and designs.
Anybody is welcome to do so. If people are going to get involved, now would
be the best time to do so.

With over a year of work behind us, I think many of the technical issues and
requirements are clearly understood: everything from compiling, testing,
resolving, Visual Studio support, etc. I'm going to be dissecting the
current implementation and applying a more formal process with use cases,
analysis, design. This will increase the modularity of the code and make
integration with Maven easier. In the branch, I'll start out with working on
the interfaces and interactions, without getting too much into the
implementation. Use cases and designs will also follow, identifying any
holes. After that, I expect we can either refactor the existing code base or
start extracting what we need into the new implementation code base, and of
course lots of new work for people to get involved in.

Shane

Re: Future NMaven Roadmap

Posted by Shane Isbell <sh...@gmail.com>.
Under sandbox/components I've refactored out a modified set of interfaces.
The compiler contexts and configs no longer extend from the general
executable interfaces. I'm doing away with matching of general exectuables
(xsd, fxcop, etc), as these will now execute whatever is in the path.

I've also made the compiler context non-specific to any language or
platform, allowing developers to specialize this interface:
NetCompilerContext in out case. The executable-plugins.xml and
compiler-plugins.xml meta-data are going away. The compiler information is
now going to be contained as annotations within the associated class. The
annotations will only contain a small subset of the compiler-plugins.xml
 info.

I'm getting rid of the entire state-machine vendor matching but it seems to
me we still need some basic matching of compilers based on language, vendor
and framework version (no vendor version though). I'm thinking that
Microsoft should be default on Windows, Novell/Mono default on Linux, with
the ability to set specific parameters through the pom plugin configuration.
We can use basic pom profiles to modify this default behaviour. This will
also do away with the nmaven-settings.xml file.

Everything is still interfaces and stubs, so easy enough to accommodate any
changes or suggestions.

Thanks,
Shane

Re: Future NMaven Roadmap

Posted by Shane Isbell <sh...@gmail.com>.
If you use place the resources in the src/main/resources/resource directory,
NMaven will pick up the embedded resource at compile time. You can also add
win32 icons, link files, etc by placing them in the appropriate directory.

http://incubator.apache.org/nmaven/getting-started.html#Generating%20Resources

If you are using Visual Studio to generate or embed the resources, you will
need to do some tweaking because Visual Studio places the resources in the
Properties directory (src/main/csharp/Properties by default). In that
case, add the maven-resources plugin to your pom.xml and set it up to copy
from the Properties to the target/assembly-resources/resource directory
(prior to compile phase) and everything will work for you in Visual Studio.
Shane

Re: Future NMaven Roadmap

Posted by Marco Mistroni <mm...@gmail.com>.
Hi ,