Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Pr...@ubsw.com on 2002/10/16 14:02:38 UTC

Struts taglibs without Struts

Hi

Can the Struts taglibs, e.g. struts-html, be used on their own i.e. just included in a page without using the Struts framework?

In other words can it be used in a "standalone" way like, say, JSTL?

TIA

Praful

related financial instruments.

Re: Struts taglibs without Struts

Posted by Umberto Nicoletti <un...@prometeo.it>.
On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 17:02, Praful.Kapadia@ubsw.com wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can the Struts taglibs, e.g. struts-html, be used on their own i.e. just included in a page without using the Struts framework?
>
> In other words can it be used in a "standalone" way like, say, JSTL?

I have successfully used the nested tags in a project without Struts
:-(.
It works great!

Only you must take care of things like putting bean in session to make
them visible.

HTH,
Umberto

> TIA
>
> Praful
>
> Visit our website at http://www.ubswarburg.com

> arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.  The sender therefore
> of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.  If
> verification is required please request a hard-copy version.  This
> related financial instruments.

Umberto Nicoletti
unicoletti@prometeo.it | Tel. +390415701366

"We'll try to make different mistakes this time." - Larry Wall

RE: Struts taglibs without Struts

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
At 12:02 PM -0400 2002/10/16, James Mitchell wrote:
>What happened when you tried it?   You did try it....right?

I've "ported" the struts taglibs to another project; you have to go
through and weed out some pervasive references to Struts classes, but
it's doable.  It's particuarly easy with the logic tags, although if
you can use JSP 1.2, you should just use the JSTL for that.  If
you're stuck with JSP 1.1, you could probably pull out all the Struts
specific bits of the bean, html, and logic tag libraries in half a
day or so.

Check the license to make sure you can use the resulting code, but
the Apache license is pretty liberal...

Joe

>James Mitchell
>Software Engineer/Struts Evangelist
>http://www.open-tools.org

* Joe Germuska    { joe@germuska.com }
"It's pitiful, sometimes, if they've got it bad. Their eyes get
glazed, they go white, their hands tremble.... As I watch them I
often feel that a dope peddler is a gentleman compared with the man
who sells records."
	--Sam Goody, 1956

RE: Struts taglibs without Struts

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@telocity.com>.