Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org> on 2007/05/23 03:00:13 UTC

[VOTE] Policy for Managing TLP POM

Hi all,

I compiled some documentation talking about how we should handle a parent
POM for our TLP
so all subprojects can inherit from it.  We have been using it incorrectly
and have been loosing
track of it. I explain all this and expose some simple policy (6 rules) that
will help us keep this
all straight [1].

Please read this and let's vote on it make it official.

[  ] +1 Apply this policy/process for TLP POM management
[  ] +/-0 Abstain - don't understand or don't care
[  ] -1 Do *NOT* apply this policy for TLP POM management

-- Alex

-------
[1] - http://cwiki.apache.org/DIRxDEV/top-level-pom-management-policy.html

[VOTE] [RESULTS] Policy for Managing TLP POM

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Let me add the [RESULTS] tag for searching in the mail archive.

Alex

Re: [VOTE] Policy for Managing TLP POM

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
This vote is closed.  Results:

+1 Votes
-------------------------
Ersin Er
Emmanuel Lecharny
Alex Karasulu
Chris Custine (non-binding)

+/-0 Votes
--------------------------

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
+1
Alex

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
After my clarifications on IRC about this stuff do you want to reconsider
your vote?

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@gmail.com>.
Just echoing your thoughts basically,
while "gently" pointing to some examples
in my Sanbox...trying to be helpful with
respect to the analysis and solution creation
process.

Here goes:
The "cookbook" mojo
is meant to facilitate breaking
up a challenge into a gazillion little pieces
like like this and then sequencing
them until there's clarity wrt the simplest
solution / process.

For instance with the DAS Design Guide I've probably read through
the recipes in sequence at least 30 times by now,
adding little details as I'm going along, and deleting
others as I realize they are not necessary.

This helps me focus on little tasks,
while occasionally looking at the Table of Contents
of the Eclipse Guide to get a "Horizontal" birds eye
of the process, with the end goal of making the process
as simple as possible.

Cheers,
- Ole

Alex Karasulu wrote:
SNIP

Re: [VOTE] Policy for Managing TLP POM

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
I think with this mess it is critical to take issues one step at a time
instead
of mixing everything together.  I started with the root pom because this is
the
first step in a top down approach which IMO is the best way to procede
because
it effects the levels below it.

The scope of this is so large that we cannot afford to jumble up all the
problems
together.  Let's start at the top and work ourselves down.  Perhaps several
passes
are required to figure out the ultimate configuration for both SVN and Maven
but
it must be done in peices.  Either this or I can take the lead and just
clean it all
then document it.  However I'm trying to involve others to make this a
collaborative
process.  However to make the collaborative process work we need some focus
on
each issue first in isolation then within the big picture.  Otherwise this
is not going to
succeed or result in an even more convoluted mess.

Alex

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
I forgot to add two points :
> [...]

> fdebugging will start to become a big issue, if we have to grab the
> sources from jars instead of projects : you will be asked for those
> sources when entering in shared for instance. This is not something I
> would like to do, as I'm quite involved in shared ...
>
> Ok, this points may not be valid, but at least we should discard them
> before going farther !
>
> Thanks Alex for having created this page, and for having endorsed the
> task. It's obviously someting we should have done before, but there is
> no better time to do it than as fast as possible ...
>
> btw, this page exists because yesturday we tried to cut the 1.0.2
> release, and it went into a quagmare, as I lacked some background to
> understand the way release are to be generated. See this effort as a
> clarification usefull for any committers who will be in charge of

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [VOTE] Policy for Managing TLP POM

Posted by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.
> [X] +/-0 Abstain - don't understand or don't care

Regards,
Stefan Seelmann

Re: [VOTE] Policy for Managing TLP POM

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Hi Chris,

On 5/23/07, Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I fall into the "dazed and confused" camp at the moment so I need to do
> some more reading to fully understand.  One part in particular that I don't
> understand is this line:
>
> "This causes it's misuse to facilitate building ApacheDS and all it's
> dependencies in one big build. This must stop because this usage makes it
> inconvenient to use for building other projects like Triplesec and LDAP
> Studio once it moves to Maven."

The point I was trying to make here (unclearly tho) was that the TLP pom is
being used more so for a parent of the ApacheDS project and to build it.
This is resulting in problems like the copies of this file being in
different places and we're adding things into this TLP pom for ApacheDS
build specifics of which the modules section is one part.

I actually LIKE it this way  :-)  I don't think this actually causes any
> harm anyway, because if you build a project that references this pom as a
> parent, the modules section is ignored IIRC.  Are you talking about some
> other issue with the parent pom?

Well yes if your subproject defines it's own modules section this is not a
problem because it is overridden.  However this pom is being used to build
ApacheDS with its dependent projects and in addition to having an ApacheDS
modules section there are other elements that are geared more towards the
ADS build.  I want to stop doing this and keep the TLP pom subproject
agnostic.  To do so we just need to stop using it for doing ADS builds with
all it's deps while using this POM.  We can use another pom with the proper
modules section to trigger the build with the deps in those SVN folder with
the externals directives that pull in all the needed deps for ADS.  Here
take a look at this example here:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/directory/apacheds/branches/1.0-with-dependencies/pom.xml?revision=540806&view=markup

This pom is located here:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/directory/apacheds/branches/1.0-with-dependencies/

It is not the TLP POM nor the parent pom referenced by the subprojects
pulled in via the externals defined in this folder.  It is just there to
trigger the build of ADS with it's dependencies by having the proper modules
section in it.  This way we do not mess with the TLP POM and cause it to
change nor do we have ADS specific build directives in it.  Is this a little
more clear?  Sorry about being ambiguous before.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
NP Chris thanks for expending the brain cycles to look over this mess.

Alex

Posted by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Yes you got it :).