Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Yonghee Shin <sy...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/12 02:44:30 UTC

Question about bug-source traceability

Hi,

Thanks for the wonderful product.

Can anyone let me know how I can trace the files changed to fix actual
bugs and functional enhancements separately?
Can I think the files with PR numbers in SVN log indicate that the files
have changed to fix actual bugs and the files without PR numbers as
functional enhancements?
Is there any possibility that a file has changed but the SVN log does
not include PR number?

If this is not the right place to ask this kind of question, would you
please let me know where I can ask?
Not to bother everyone with this question, I hope I can find a personal
contact if possible.

Thanks for your help!
Yonghee

Re: Question about bug-source traceability

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On 12 Dec 2009, at 01:44, Yonghee Shin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the wonderful product.
>
> Can anyone let me know how I can trace the files changed to fix actual bugs and functional enhancements separately?

You can't really.

Bugzilla is a complete mix of real bugs, enhancement requests, vague reports
that may or may not arise from a bug, and complete nonsense that some
reporter insists on reopening and we can't be arsed to pay attention to.
That's the downside of an open bugzilla for such a widely-used project.
The only real indicator you have is where a PR is marked enhancement.

> Can I think the files with PR numbers in SVN log indicate that the files have changed to fix actual bugs and the files without PR numbers as functional enhancements?

The PR numbers in SVN logs give you a record of both bugfixes and functional
enhancements that trace back to bugzilla.

> Is there any possibility that a file has changed but the SVN log does not include PR number?

Yes, a change may fix a PR without anyone knowing at the time.  Particularly
the more vague, unspecified PRs.

--
Nick Kew