Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Dean Ericson <de...@gmail.com> on 2015/05/27 13:06:18 UTC

Solr 5 Tutorial which does NOT use dist examples

I am looking for a good tutorial on Solr 5 that does not use the provided
dist examples.  I am trying to setup a 'test' environment - using embedded
zookeeper - that would mimic what would need to be done in test/prod
without having to spin up multiple machines to do so.

Specifically, we are looking for documentation on where to put our
solrconfig files, what configs are needed for new nodes, etc. (Can this be
handled through the admin ui?)  I do not see any documentation that offers
this kind granularity.  Does anyone know of a good resource they might be
able to point me to, other than the official docs (we've been through them
already)

Thank you,
Dean

Re: Solr 5 Tutorial which does NOT use dist examples

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
bin/solr start -d techproducts
that will set up a non-cloud (i.e. stand-alone) Solr that you can use
as a model. Note that Solr uses "core discovery", which basically
recursively descends from SOLR_HOME and any time it finds a
"core.properties" file it assumes it's at the root of another core and
loads it.

To start Solr with a script, use 'bin/solr start -s some_directory'.
"some_directory" is "solr home" as above. You can manually put as many
directories in SOLR_HOME as you want and as long as each has a "conf"
directory and the associated "core.propreties" file they should all be
found.

If you copy things around, however, do be careful to edit the
core.properties file appropriately, in this case just make the "name"
parameter unique.

Best,
Erick

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.