Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Rad Basa <ra...@yahoo.com> on 2002/09/29 07:38:06 UTC

[users@httpd] starting problem of apache 2.0.40 on winXP

Apache 2.0.40 on a WinXP notebook refuses to start. I
installed Apache using the binary distro
apache_2.0.40-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi on a WinXP Pro that
is kept current through online updates. Haven't
upgraded to SP1 yet though. Apache 1.3.26 worked fine
on the notebook. I uninstalled this before installing
2.0.40.

I've tried uninstalling, restarting, and reinstalling
Apache both as a service and as a console app. Both
ways it refuses to start and I get the following in
error.log

[Sun Sep 29 12:54:10 2002] [crit] (22)Invalid
argument: Parent: Failed to create the child process.
[Sun Sep 29 12:54:10 2002] [crit] (22506)The handle is
invalid.  : master_main: create child process failed.
Exiting.
[Sun Sep 29 12:54:10 2002] [notice] Parent: Forcing
termination of child process 3316272

That's when it's installed as console app. When it's
run as a service I get "termination of child process
3315632" instead; everything else is the same.

Install.log doesn't show any errors.

I was able to install Apache on a different PC with
the same OS with apparently the same updates. The
difference is, it's a desktop.

I searched google for "apache 'failed to create the
child process'" and I all I got was the same questions
being posted on other forums. No answers.
http://www.tek-tips.com/gviewthread.cfm/lev2/3/lev3/22/pid/65/qid/344260
http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/user/view/cs_msg/9670?page=last&x-showcontent=text

I know it would be best if I installed Apache on
Linux, but I already have that on a desktop and need
Apache on my win32 notebook for development testing on
the road.

Thanks in advance.

Rad

Re: [users@httpd] starting problem of apache 2.0.40 on winXP

Posted by "J. Greenlees" <ja...@shaw.ca>.
Rad Basa wrote:

>Apache 2.0.40 on a WinXP notebook refuses to start. I
>installed Apache using the binary distro
>apache_2.0.40-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi on a WinXP Pro that
>is kept current through online updates. Haven't
>upgraded to SP1 yet though. Apache 1.3.26 worked fine
>on the notebook. I uninstalled this before installing
>2.0.40.
>
>I've tried uninstalling, restarting, and reinstalling
>Apache both as a service and as a console app. Both
>ways it refuses to start and I get the following in
>error.log
>
>[Sun Sep 29 12:54:10 2002] [crit] (22)Invalid
>argument: Parent: Failed to create the child process.
>[Sun Sep 29 12:54:10 2002] [crit] (22506)The handle is
>invalid.  : master_main: create child process failed.
>Exiting.
>[Sun Sep 29 12:54:10 2002] [notice] Parent: Forcing
>termination of child process 3316272
>
>That's when it's installed as console app. When it's
>run as a service I get "termination of child process
>3315632" instead; everything else is the same.
>
>Install.log doesn't show any errors.
>
>I was able to install Apache on a different PC with
>the same OS with apparently the same updates. The
>difference is, it's a desktop.
>
>I searched google for "apache 'failed to create the
>child process'" and I all I got was the same questions
>being posted on other forums. No answers.
>http://www.tek-tips.com/gviewthread.cfm/lev2/3/lev3/22/pid/65/qid/344260
>http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/user/view/cs_msg/9670?page=last&x-showcontent=text
>
>I know it would be best if I installed Apache on
>Linux, but I already have that on a desktop and need
>Apache on my win32 notebook for development testing on
>the road.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Rad

well, I'm not sure with apache 2, but if you don't need the threaded
processing for your development testing, you can use apache 1.3x ( I put
that from binary on my wife's winxp pro system, it worked right out of
the box )

when her current process is finished I'll see if I can get apache 2 to
run on her box.

Re: [users@httpd] starting problem of apache 2.0.40 on winXP

Posted by Jeff White <jl...@earthlink.net>.

> Yup, something funny indeed was going on.
> apache -t gave a Syntax OK.
>
> I just uninstalled 2.0.40 and d/led and installed
> 2.0.42. Everything works fine now.
>
> Funny thing is, I have another WinXP box that has
> 2.0.40 running just fine.

Had 2.0.40 on a Windows XP HOME,
without SP1, proxying Microsoft's free
ASP.NET web server, on the same box,
but 2.0.42 fails, just like 2.0.40 did for
you, with the same error messages that
you had!  :)

So it is back to 2.0.40 for testing ASP.NET
usage for that Windows XP Home machine!

Jeff

Re: [users@httpd] starting problem of apache 2.0.40 on winXP

Posted by Rad Basa <ra...@yahoo.com>.
Yup, something funny indeed was going on.
apache -t gave a Syntax OK.

I just uninstalled 2.0.40 and d/led and installed
2.0.42. Everything works fine now.

Funny thing is, I have another WinXP box that has
2.0.40 running just fine.

Thanks
Rodrigo Basa