Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Lars Eilebrecht <la...@hyperreal.org> on 2000/02/12 21:06:58 UTC

AddDefaultCharset?

Hi,

I'm wondering about the name of the new AddDefaultCharset directive.
I'd like to suggest that we rename the directive to DefaultCharset
for 1.3.12.

Using the prefix "Add" suggest IMHO that the directive can be
used multiple times within a specific context like other Add* directives,
e.g. AddCharset, AddLanguage, AddType, AddIcon and AddEncoding.

We already have some directives starting with "Default", e.g.
DefaultLanguage, DefaultType and DefaultIcon.

Using DefaultCharset instead of AddDefaultCharset is IMHO
somewhat more intuitive about what the directive is supposed
to do.

just my 0.02$

ciao...
--
Lars Eilebrecht               - The generation of random signatures
lars@hyperreal.org          - is too important to be left to chance.

Re: AddDefaultCharset?

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
I agree with Lars and Jim; the existing semantics of 'add*'
directives make this confusing.

What alternatives are there?

SetDefaultCharset?
ForceCharset?
DefaultResponseCharset?

Of these, I think the last is the most descriptive.. but
it's long-winded.  But oh well, big deal -- so it appears once
in the config file.
--
#ken    P-)}

Conference!  <http://ApacheCon.Com/>

Re: AddDefaultCharset?

Posted by Lars Eilebrecht <la...@hyperreal.org>.
According to Marc Slemko:

>  Except that it doesn't just set the default for some setting.
>
>  It changes the behaviour to expressly adds a charset if none is present.
>  That is different from DefaultType, which is the default that is sent
>  anyway, etc.  ie. this option enables (ie. "adds") the adding of a default
>  charset as opposed to just setting a default that is always used.

Ok I see your point, but if I set DefaultType to a specific mime type it is
only used if a requested resource has no known mime type. IMHO this is more
or less the same like setting (adding) the default charset which is used
if a resource has an unknown charset.

>  I think the "default" part of the name speaks quite clearly for the fact
>  that you can only add one...

My main point was that all other Add* directives can be used multiple
times within a single context. But the idea behind AddDefaultCharset
is to using it just once within a specific context.

ciao...
--
Lars Eilebrecht            - Imagination is the one weapon in the war
lars@hyperreal.org           - against reality. (Jules de Gaultier)

Re: AddDefaultCharset?

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>.