Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Igor Bogicevic <ca...@gmail.com> on 2006/06/21 14:35:28 UTC

problems with ActiveMQ with large number of producers/consumers

Hi all,

I've been testing ActiveMQ under relatively high load and number of
producers and consumers (50-100 on each side) and I've attached the
code that I have been using for test purposes (it's not really clean
code since it's used for testing purposes only). What happens is when
I launch about 50-60 consumers/producers (they run on a different
boxes) and I start to stop consumer processes, producers tend to block
for a shorter period, if I repeat this process for a while I get to
state where's a whole queue blocked for 1-2h or longer (sometimes for
good).
Is this general performance problem with ActiveMQ or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Igor

Re: problems with ActiveMQ with large number of producers/consumers

Posted by Igor Bogicevic <ca...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Hiram,

I'll definitely check it out!

Thanks,
Igor

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
I Igor,

Posted by Igor Bogicevic <ca...@gmail.com>.
Hi James,

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Igor Bogicevic <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Igor Bogicevic <ca...@gmail.com>.
I also forgot to answer on this thread... this was not the problem
related to the lack of the memory, it's related to hanging
connections, i've set up the broker with the large amount of memory
(>2GB) in both broker configuration and via jconsole and problem was
defintely in the connections which were not cleaned up - for unknown
reason to me. it was easy to block queue with large number of
un-properly closed sessions and relatively hard with properly closed
connections in a shutdown hook.

thanks,
igor

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
I would attach a JMX console to the broker and look at the broker's
memory percentage used attribute.  If it's 100% then that's the reason
that the broker is blocked.  This memory used has nothing to do with
the JVM memory configuration BTW.  It's a configurable setting in the
broker XML and can be changed on the fly using the jmx console by
setting the memory limit attribute on the broker JMX object.

Posted by Igor Bogicevic <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Igor Bogicevic <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

--

James
-------

Posted by Igor Bogicevic <ca...@gmail.com>.
hmm... could be but I am definitely not sure what is actually causing
it, what is interesting and I've forgot to mention is that i have
large number of still hanging connections and basically it blocks
producers for some period as rule of thumb. However, I was not able to
reproduce this problem on a small number of producers/consumers. Just
stopping the producers doesn't help and it can be reproduced on
relatively small number of messages being sent to the queue
(1000-2000) and I don't experience this problem if I connect consumers
after some time (about 10k messages), but what really blocks it is
situation when I kill the consumers... I assume that it could be
related to hanging connections, but the problem is that sometimes
broken connections stay present after a very long period of time (at
least with bstat I can see large number of Type = Subscription
elements, that exceeds the connected producers/subscribers if that's
of any relevance).

Thanks,
Igor

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
When you stop a consumer I wonder if your causing a slow consumer
situation... see:
http://activemq.com/site/slow-consumers.html

On 6/21/06, Igor Bogicevic <ca...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been testing ActiveMQ under relatively high load and number of
> producers and consumers (50-100 on each side) and I've attached the
> code that I have been using for test purposes (it's not really clean
> code since it's used for testing purposes only). What happens is when
> I launch about 50-60 consumers/producers (they run on a different
> boxes) and I start to stop consumer processes, producers tend to block
> for a shorter period, if I repeat this process for a while I get to
> state where's a whole queue blocked for 1-2h or longer (sometimes for
> good).
> Is this general performance problem with ActiveMQ or am I doing something wrong?
>
> Thanks,
> Igor

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com