Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Tom Klaasen <to...@pandora.be> on 2003/01/23 23:55:52 UTC

forrest.build.xml inconsistency

Hi all,

I'm probably stumbling in through the front door here (image in my mind: snow storm outside, in a forest. I fall through a door of a wood cabin, in which a stove is burning, and some bear hunters are sipping their rum and give me a dirty look), but I have to say you don't do much effort to keep newcomers out: I've just downloaded and installed forrest in 15 minutes. Congrats. I've never been able to do that on any OSS project I've tried (and most commercial software takes longer also).

But of course there's a but. In the forrest.build.xml file, on line 514, I read

This project already has content in ${project.xdocs-dir}.

Nice and all, but this is the fail message from something that checks this:

   <available property="project.content.present" file="${project.content-dir}"
      type="dir"/>

Notice the inconsistency between xdocs-dir and content-dir.
Which of the two has to be empty now? My guess would be content-dir. But in that directory is a CVS directory (I'm talking about krysalis-wings here). Shouldn't CVS directories be ignored in the check?

Anyway, just that you know. I managed to work around it by checking on xdocs-dir (which didn't exist).

Can I get some rum too? Please?
tomK

Re: forrest.build.xml inconsistency

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 11:55:52PM +0100, Tom Klaasen wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I'm probably stumbling in through the front door here (image in my
> mind: snow storm outside, in a forest. I fall through a door of a wood
> cabin, in which a stove is burning, and some bear hunters are sipping
> their rum and give me a dirty look),

:)

> but I have to say you don't do much effort to keep newcomers out: I've
> just downloaded and installed forrest in 15 minutes. Congrats. I've
> never been able to do that on any OSS project I've tried (and most
> commercial software takes longer also).

Great!  That's always annoyed me about OSS.. it takes too long to
evaluate.  A bit of sample code and a .sh/.bat script setting up the
classpath is worth reams of documentation.

Hmm.. that's an idea.  A little "Certified idiot-proof installation"
accreditation program.  Projects sign up, and every month, a newcomer
from a pool of volunteers attempts to install the software and perhaps
solve a simple problem with it.  They write up their experiences, and if
favourable, the project gets to put a little 'certified' logo on their
site, and gets listed in a project directory somewhere.

> But of course there's a but. In the forrest.build.xml file, on line
> 514, I read
>
> This project already has content in ${project.xdocs-dir}.
>
> Nice and all, but this is the fail message from something that checks this:
>
>    <available property="project.content.present" file="${project.content-dir}"
>       type="dir"/>
>

> Notice the inconsistency between xdocs-dir and content-dir.

I've made them both 'project.content-dir'.

> Which of the two has to be empty now? My guess would be content-dir.
> But in that directory is a CVS directory (I'm talking about
> krysalis-wings here). Shouldn't CVS directories be ignored in the
> check?

Probably.  I can't think of any easy way to check this with Ant.  For now
I've added a flag to override the check:

forrest -Dskip.contentcheck=yes seed

> Anyway, just that you know. I managed to work around it by checking on
> xdocs-dir (which didn't exist).
>

> Can I get some rum too? Please?

It's not rum, it's a mixture of SoC, Cocoon and pointy tags.  You need to
be fairly drunk before Forrest has long-term appeal ;)

--Jeff

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au>.
Steven,

I'd suggest an ice-cold beer, especially at this time of the year.

Peter

--
Peter B. West  pbwest@powerup.com.au  http://www.powerup.com.au/~pbwest/
"Lord, to whom shall we go?"

Re: forrest.build.xml inconsistency

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Tom Klaasen wrote:

> Can I get some rum too? Please?

We are all poor privates over here, the only thing we hand out are
toothbrushes. Although I can imagine myself in some Australian barn with
a glass of scotch in my hand.

;-)

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org