Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Han Nguyen <hn...@us.ibm.com> on 2010/06/09 17:11:20 UTC

Cleanning up Shindig for json.org license issue

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/shindig-dev/201005.mbox/%3COFFE5C5529.88141CE8-ON8725772E.0073FCA5-8525772E.007468B5@us.ibm.com%3E

I have opened a JIRA for this issue here
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SHINDIG-1342

Although the WINK team has not yet committed their clean of the license
issue json library to Apache yet, we anticipate it will be done soon.
Fortunately, we've been working with them collaboratively, and have the
source to get ahead start on updating Shindig with their jar.
The change is mostly updating import statements in Shindig Java code,
however it is quite pervasive and touches most of Shindig Java modules.
I'm outlining what I will be doing for the next two weeks here to get your
suggestions and consensus, also to find out if anyone has missed the
original discussion thread above and has also started working on the same
work so we can collaborate more on this.

1. update the pom files to remove json.org, and point to the location of
the json jar in WINK (local on my box at the moment)
2. fix all the broken imports.
3. update and add some try catch/exception required by the new lib.
4. Since we've done this work on Shindig Beta5, and had to add a few
additional minor methods for JsonSerializer, I expect we'll need to do the
same for the trunk. Details method will be posted in the patch later
5. Run mvn test and make sure all test cases passed.
6. Testing the gadgets in the wild, we have a collection of random gadgets
to test, but feel free to suggest any gadgets that would make good test
cases here. We'll mostly look for the same behaviors of the gadgets in the
code base prior vs. after the code update.
7. Once WINK made the json library code drop in Apache, we'll go back and
update the pom files for the correct location, and maybe some minor
cleanups.
8. submit patch(es) to jira and code review

I'm looking forward to hearing your opinions and suggestions.
Thanks,
Han

Re: Cleanning up Shindig for json.org license issue

Posted by John Hjelmstad <fa...@google.com>.
Hi Han:

This plan sounds good to me; thanks for taking the lead on it. I'm happy to
review the trunk/ changes. I'm sure others will be as well.

--j

Posted by Paul Lindner <pl...@linkedin.com>.
Ideally this code should be it's own project or subproject -- then wink and
shindig could use it directly.

Also, a shindig release cannot rely on SNAPSHOT releases.  It's just not
allowed.

Are there other json libraries out there that might make sense?  What about
Jackson?

From:   Paul Lindner <li...@inuus.com>
To:     dev@shindig.apache.org
Date:   06/10/2010 05:16 PM