Posted to user@struts.apache.org by shriram <sh...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/15 14:17:31 UTC

FileUploadBase$UnknownSizeException: the request was rejected because its size is unknown

I am using struts1 and apache.commons.fileupload1.0 to upload a file of size
more than 4 GB[may change] results in the below exception. I have gone
through struts fileupload api which mentions 256M is  the maximum limit. Is
it possible to upload a huge file size of more than 4GB ? How to change the
default limit 256M to higher limit?. If it is not possible is there any way
to upload a file in struts1?

 [org.apache.struts.upload.CommonsMultipartRequestHandler -> handleRequest]
(CommonsMultipartRequestHandler.java:190) - Failed to parse multipart
request
org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase$UnknownSizeException: the
request was rejected because its size is unknown
        at
org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase.parseRequest(FileUploadBase.java:305)
        at
org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase.parseRequest(FileUploadBase.java:268)
        at
org.apache.struts.upload.CommonsMultipartRequestHandler.handleRequest(CommonsMultipartRequestHandler.java:182)
        at
org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils.populate(RequestUtils.java:389)
        at
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.java:191)
        at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1858)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:643)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:723)
        at
        at
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:235)
        at
        at
        at
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)
        at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:103)
        at
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:293)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:861)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:606)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:489)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

I have tried upto 256M limit it works fine.

Re: FileUploadBase$UnknownSizeException: the request was rejected because its size is unknown

Posted by shriram <sh...@gmail.com>.
configure the maximum limit in struts controller controller
processorClass="your class" nocache="true" locale="true"
contentType="text/html;charset=UTF-8" **maxFileSize="15G"/**

When you are using apache.commons.fileuploa-1.1 there is a constraint that
FileUpload refuses parsing requests of unknown length. In the succeeding
version stream has been introduced to overcome the size issue. Below issues
were reported in apache.commons.fileupload in 1.2 & 1.3 1. After uploading,
temp file is not removed 2. Input stream is not closed which leads to
memleak.

REF: refuses parsing request of unknown lenght Memleak when stream is not
closed. Memleak

Re: FileUploadBase$UnknownSizeException: the request was rejected because its size is unknown

Posted by "Sreekanth S. Nair" <sr...@egovernments.org>.
Have you checked the controller configuration in struts-config.xml
http://struts.apache.org/release/1.3.x/userGuide/configuration.html

--
Thanks & Regards

Sreekanth S Nair