Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jim Clayson <ji...@btopenworld.com> on 2002/08/28 15:00:05 UTC

sending login credentials using SSL

Hi,

Should it be common practice to send login details (username + password)
via SSL? I'll be using form-based authentication and was wondering about
how to beef up the security of transmitting username and password over http.

If so how is this generally achieved ie how would one specify that all
logins should be marked as CONFIDENTIAL?

Thanks
Jim

Re: sending login credentials using SSL

Posted by Ben Walding <be...@walding.com>.
You need to look at the user-data-constraint section of  your web.xml.
Basically it can allow you to control how the server transmits the
authentication information.

http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2001/08/06/webform.html?page=2

Search down for

      Enforcing SSL