Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/04 20:33:38 UTC

What's in and out to work towards Release 5 milestone WAS: [DISCUSS] Bloodhound Graduation

On 2/4/13, Peter Koželj <pe...@digiverse.si> wrote:
> For community diversity we need to excite more users and contributors and
> you do not get one without the other.
> I seems a bit like a chicken and egg problem.
>
> To be honest, it is hard to "sell" Bloodhound to users with a straight
> face.

Well ... it's a fact that we have to improve a lot on what we have
nowadays , but it's also true that there are users out there
interested on what we offer nowadays .

> 1. We do not offer much new to current Trac users with additional drawbacks
> of being a bit behind the latest Trac version,
>     risk of plugin compatibility problems and even some new usability
> quirks for a good measure
> 2. To anyone not satisfied with what Trac has to offer, we can not give
> more than promises right now

Add to the list the fact that clients making use of version control
and repositories will reject right away our current offer . That's why
the instances we have deployed always include the patches for #162 and
related vcs tickets .

Should we schedule them for release 5 ?

Olemis.

Re: What's in and out to work towards Release 5 milestone WAS: [DISCUSS] Bloodhound Graduation

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On 2/5/13, Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 11:33 AM, Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2/4/13, Peter Koželj <pe...@digiverse.si> wrote:

[...]
> I expect that many users would be
> willing to adopt Bloodhound just on the basis of the new interface,
> dashboard, etc ...

TBH , we've needed a bit more than that . But it's been the starting
point to attract further attention and feedback ...

> and the possibility of new features on the horizon just
> makes it more appealing.

... and so far we've been able to satisfy user needs , beyond default
BH installation . So far only in a single deployment has been
abandoned and was due to the fact the Trac Git plugin was causing some
trouble and could not work with remote repos .

[...]
>> > 1. We do not offer much new to current Trac users with additional
>> drawbacks
>> > of being a bit behind the latest Trac version,
>> >     risk of plugin compatibility problems and even some new usability
>> > quirks for a good measure
>> > 2. To anyone not satisfied with what Trac has to offer, we can not give
>> > more than promises right now
>> >

>> Add to the list the fact that clients making use of version control
>> and repositories will reject right away our current offer . That's why
>> the instances we have deployed always include the patches for #162 and
>> related vcs tickets .
>>
>> Should we schedule them for release 5 ?
>

> Yes, I think so. I suggested to Gary that yesterday that I'd work to apply
> your patches in #162 this week.

Thanks ! That will allow us to not maintain the patches as trunk evolves ...

> It's great to hear that you are deploying instances!

Not as many as I'd like to ... but hoping more will come with time .
;)

Posted by Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>.
On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 11:33 AM, Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/4/13, Peter Koželj <pe...@digiverse.si> wrote:
> > For community diversity we need to excite more users and contributors and
> > you do not get one without the other.
> > I seems a bit like a chicken and egg problem.
> >
> > To be honest, it is hard to "sell" Bloodhound to users with a straight
> > face.
>
> Well ... it's a fact that we have to improve a lot on what we have
> nowadays , but it's also true that there are users out there
> interested on what we offer nowadays .

Yes, I think both of those statements are true. We need to fix the quirks
that Peter mentioned, but once we have gotten to the point of working out
the issues with the new interface, I expect that many users would be
willing to adopt Bloodhound just on the basis of the new interface,
dashboard, etc ... and the possibility of new features on the horizon just
makes it more appealing.  Said another way, I don't think we need a whole
lot more than what exists now to get some adoption, provided that what
exists now is more refined. One reasons I say this is that over the years I
have seen a lot of people on the mailing list express dissatisfaction with
the interface for Trac. Another reason is that the themes seems to be
relatively popular on Trac-Hacks, so hopefully Bloodhound is widely
appealing to users seeking a different theme, and more.