Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Boris Kolpackov <bo...@codesynthesis.com> on 2007/11/28 10:35:50 UTC

Removing autotools-generated files from the repository

Hi,

I would like to remove the automake and autoconf-generated files
from the trunk. The problem with keeping them in the repository
is that if one configures in the maintainer's mode (and that's
what most of the people checking out from the repository will
do) then the build blows unless you have the exact same version
of autotools as the one with which files in the repository were
generated. This means that you have to reconfigure against your
local version of autotools before you can proceed.

If there are not objections, then I will remove configure,
Makefile.in, etc.

Boris

--
Boris Kolpackov
Code Synthesis Tools CC

Re: Removing autotools-generated files from the repository

Posted by Boris Kolpackov <bo...@codesynthesis.com>.
Hi Alberto,

Alberto Massari <am...@datadirect.com> writes:

> Ok, if this is the way it should work, let's do it...

Great. I agree with Ronald that it is quite easy to bootstrap
the checked-out source code on, say, a GNU/Linux box and then
copy it onto other machines that you need to test. It also
should be considerably faster than checking out the source
tree from SVN every time.

Also, to clear any confusion, the released source distributions
will be fully bootstrapped and contain all the necessary scripts.

Thanks,

Boris

Posted by Scott Cantor <ca...@osu.edu>.
> To support building on systems without auto* I usually include the
> generated files into the distribution. Thus a "make dist" on an automake
> supporting system, a copy of the tar and a "configure && make" on the
> critical system is sufficient.

Oh, right. We're talking about subversion, not the distribution. make dist
always includes all the generated files, that's all done automatically by
automake, minus a few files that I think you have to add to EXTRA_DIST.

I would add that the concerns about out of date autotools are pretty much
confined to old versions of an OS (as in circa 2002). Anything recent Linux
is plenty new enough, and anything you get for Solaris these days is also
fine.

-- Scott

Re: Removing autotools-generated files from the repository

Posted by Alberto Massari <am...@datadirect.com>.
Ok, if this is the way it should work, let's do it...

Alberto

Posted by Ronald Lamprecht <R....@T-Online.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Scott Cantor <ca...@osu.edu>.

Posted by Alberto Massari <am...@datadirect.com>.
Hi Boris,
if I get it right, these errors only appears when the maintainer mode is
active (btw, what does this mode add to the build log?). Could we force

Posted by Boris Kolpackov <bo...@codesynthesis.com>.
Hi Alberto,

Posted by Alberto Massari <am...@datadirect.com>.
Boris,