Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Len Bellemore <Le...@ControlCircle.com> on 2013/04/26 15:17:10 UTC

baremetal / pxe booting of instances

Hi Guys,

Anyone know if it's possible to do baremetal/pxe booting of instances?

Say, I have a "dummy" template that calls a pxe server when it boots.  It would then pull down a server image depending on some criteria (actually not sure how I would do this bit.)

This would save me from having to maintain a template for every different OS type that I want to offer to my users

Thanks
Len

RE: baremetal / pxe booting of instances

Posted by Geoff Higginbottom <ge...@shapeblue.com>.
HI Len,

I think I may have misread your original question,  Oliver's use case is to enable the cloud provider to only have to maintain 1 Template per OS, and then use Puppet to deploy additional software on top of the base Template.

You do still have to maintain a Template for say Windows Standard, and a separate Template for Windows Datacenter etc.

By using this approach you could have every Windows and Linux OS Base Template available to end users, which is still a very manageable number of Templates, and then rely on Puppet to add additional roles and features etc.

You would still be able to use the usage data to track which VM is using which Base Template and charge accordingly, assuming your charges only differ based on the OS, and not additional software installed on the VM.

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com