Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com> on 2010/07/27 17:08:43 UTC

Editor for html portlet content

  We think that we can build a portlet that takes text out of a database
table and display it in a portlet assuming that the text is already HTML.
A full-blown CMS is way more than we need at this point.

Is there are common solution for the editing of these text fragments
that everyone uses ?

We think that we can build an upload function that uses WebDav to put
images onto an Apache httpd site that we use for static resources (I
know that we could stick it in Tomcat but that server already has enough
to do and we put static content on a server that is closer to the
firewall and not so busy).
This will give us the ability to change text and graphics to make pretty
pages.

I am pretty sure that this must have been done in the past.
Any comments or links that we should know about before inventing our new
version of the wheel?

We are somewhere between version of 2.1.3 and 2.1.4 of Jetspeed if that
matters.

Ron

Re: Editor for html portlet content

Posted by David Sean Taylor <d....@onehippo.com>.
On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 8:08 AM, Ron Wheeler
<rw...@artifact-software.com> wrote:
>  We think that we can build a portlet that takes text out of a database
> table and display it in a portlet assuming that the text is already HTML.
> A full-blown CMS is way more than we need at this point.
>
> Is there are common solution for the editing of these text fragments that
> everyone uses ?

There is a project in the APA (Apache Portals Applications) called apa-content:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/portals/applications/sandbox/content/trunk

The project has examples of retrieving content from a JCR repository
and then editing the content with a javascript editor called Xinha.
You can see an example of the Xinha content editor built into the
portlets. More info on Xinha:

http://trac.xinha.org/

 I think you could modify it to retrieve text from your database...