Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Ing. Damiano Bolla" <da...@infotechsrl.it> on 2002/09/26 16:14:47 UTC

Re: Tomcat 4.1.12 memory leak, still

I did two more test, here are the results.

At 09.50 26/09/2002 -0400, you wrote:

>you can easily test it out by setting
>
>JAVA_OPTS='-Xmx=64M'

Did set the above before starting tomcat and had the folowing results.
This is the value of SIZE of top

22684
22692
22700
23560
23908
23960
23980
24040
24170
24328
24432
24468
24492
24552
24572
24704
24760
24768
24788

Always reloading the same page (the default page)
I then changed JAVA_OPTS='-Xmx=24M'
and I still had an increasing result

22848
23576
23592
23804
23836
23896
23972
23992
24080
24152

And I must say that if I keep reloading it will keep increasing.
It is a very simple test to do, are you shure that you have the SIZE number
decreasing sometimes ?
It chews little ram at the time so if you have 1Gb ram you notice it only
if you really look at it.

Posted by peter lin <pe...@labs.gte.com>.
you may want to first try running tomcat with verbose gc turned on.

this will tell you whether or not it is working correctly.

refer to previous email I sent with the java options for verbose gc.

peter lin

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

RE: Tomcat 4.1.12 memory leak, still

Posted by Ricky Leung <ri...@booksense.com>.
> >JAVA_OPTS='-Xmx=64M'

I remember I saw in Sun's website that it's lowercase for all, k for kilo, m
for mega, and g for giga, but in this group, people always say use capital
letters.  Now I am confused!