Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Gerry Matte <Ge...@shaw.ca> on 2010/11/05 17:47:38 UTC

James 3.0-M2 (Build 46) now starts error free on Windows server 2003

Thanks Norman.
That was the final trick that allowed the server to start without exceptions
thrown.
I'll now start to test the functionality.

A couple of comments for you:
During the startup, a log entry appears that indicates an incorrect version
number - possibly this is hard coded or only changes when a major release is
issued.  See line 32 of the attachment.
When the server has completed all initialisations and is ready for business
a final log message to that effect would be nice (eg "James Server 3.x.y is
ready").  The current last log entry (see attached) says "james.fetchmail |
FetchMail Disabled" which doesn't communicate that startup is completed.
Finally, when I look back on my difficulties getting to this point many of
them could have been "self-caught" if all your config XML files included a
schema reference AND all XML files were validated as they were loaded by
James.  I am willing to help build the schemas at an appropriate time but
turning on validation for your XML parser would have to be your task.  I
appreciate that this is a potentially daunting task but the sooner we do it,
the more likely that new users will be able to find/fix their own problems
or at the least your support should become much easier.  Just a reminder for
you to ping me when you are ready.

Gerry
Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Side-note.

For M2, configuration files have been cleaned
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-1079)
The M2 release will not contain all the comments and unused tags.
To get the full config possibilities, you will need to grab the examples
conf files from
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/trunk/container-spring/src/main/config/examples

Tks,
Eric