Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Enke Michael <Mi...@wincor-nixdorf.com> on 2002/03/28 15:56:40 UTC

Re: Cocoon 2.0.2 JDK1.4 Tomcat 4.0.4b1 JDBC Connection PoolingDoesn't Work (for me) - any ideas

Did you ever unpack 2.0.2.tar.gz? It seems no.
If I unpack the 2.0.2.tar.gz there is not @JDBC3_START@ in, there is a comment /* in.

Michael

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.
On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> BTW, I found this in the EsqlConnection class:
>
>     public java.sql.PreparedStatement prepareStatement(String sql,
>                                         int[] columnIndexes)
>         throws SQLException
>     {
>         return prepareStatement(sql, columnIndexes);
>     }
>
>     public java.sql.PreparedStatement prepareStatement(String sql,
>                                         String[] columnNames)
>         throws SQLException
>     {
>         return prepareStatement(sql, columnNames);
>     }
>
> I'm I wrong or are this infinite loops?

:-/

I'll have a look..

thanks
--
Torsten

RE: Cocoon 2.0.2 JDK1.4 Tomcat 4.0.4b1 JDBC Connection PoolingDoesn't Work (for me) - any ideas

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
It seems that the build script for the distribution does not simply
copy the sources as is but it also replaces the keywords defined by ant.
As the dists are build using JDK 1.3.1, the keywords were replaced by a
comment.
We have to fix the build script, then. Thanks.

BTW, I found this in the EsqlConnection class:

    public java.sql.PreparedStatement prepareStatement(String sql,
                                        int[] columnIndexes)
        throws SQLException
    {
        return prepareStatement(sql, columnIndexes);
    }

    public java.sql.PreparedStatement prepareStatement(String sql,
                                        String[] columnNames)
        throws SQLException
    {
        return prepareStatement(sql, columnNames);
    }

I'm I wrong or are this infinite loops?

Carsten

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.
On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Enke Michael wrote:
> Did you ever unpack 2.0.2.tar.gz? It seems no.

true - we only use HEAD from CVS :)

> If I unpack the 2.0.2.tar.gz there is not @JDBC3_START@ in, there is a comment /* in.

Well, then we have a problem - Carsten, do you have an idea how this could have happened?
--
Torsten

Posted by Enke Michael <Mi...@wincor-nixdorf.com>.
Christopher Watson wrote:
> I've just extracted EsqlConnection.java again this minute from the
> 2.0.2.tar.gz I downloaded then - it is attached to this message.
>
> I'm loath to download it again, at 56kbps (UK's not really grasped broadband
> yet!).
> Would it have changed since I downloaded it?
> The timestamp on my one is 11:30 (GMT) 26mar2002

The timestamp on my one is 26mar2002 08:27, 10331 byte

Michael

Re: Cocoon 2.0.2 JDK1.4 Tomcat 4.0.4b1 JDBC Connection PoolingDoesn't Work (for me) - any ideas

Posted by Enke Michael <Mi...@wincor-nixdorf.com>.
With the shipped excalibur we have no chance to get pooling running (under jdk1.4).
I download excalibur4.1 and compiled it:
(build.sh missing, may be other files too? Berin is checking this)
But with this, Cocoon is not started!
So I got the daily build from excalibur (avalon-framework is also required),
cocoon starts again, but pooling have the same problem.

Happy easter!

Michael

RE: Cocoon 2.0.2 JDK1.4 Tomcat 4.0.4b1 JDBC Connection PoolingDoesn't Work (for me) - any ideas

Posted by Christopher Watson <cw...@taraserv.demon.co.uk>.
Michael, et al

I've just noticed a few more recent messages about this, but I'm going to
reply anyway.

Christopher

I downloaded the 2.0.2.tar.gz from http://xml.apache.org/dist/cocoon
(or was it http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/dist - I'm guessing they're
effectively the same thing?)
very soon after the release, before the src.zip appeared !

I confirm the one via viewcvs.cgi has @JDBC3_START@ etc

> Torsten Curdt wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Christopher Watson wrote:
> >
> > > RE: Cocoon 2.0.2 JDK1.4 Tomcat 4.0.4b1 JDBC Connection
> Pooling Doesn't Work
> > > (for me) - any ideasThanks, Tom
> > >
> > > I suspect the problems are not only with cocoon, but
> excalibur too !
> > >
> > > COCOON
> > > =======
> > > The comment lines in the CVS EsqlConnection have @JDBC3_START@ and
> > > @JDBC3_END@
> > > which the ant task comments out if it FAILS to detect
> jdbc3 present.
> > >
> > > In the cocoon dist version, these lines are commented out
> by /* and */
> > > (it's the same in both the src.tar.gz and the src.zip) -
> so you have to
> > > remove them manually to get a clean jdk1.4 compile
> >
> > What is commented out? At least in HEAD everything looks fine...

Torsten
Please see attached to see what is commented out

> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-cocoon2/src/java/org/apa
> che/cocoon/components/language/markup/xsp/EsqlConnection.java
> >
> > The tricky part is that ant might fail to detect that jdbc3
> is present.
> > I remember Stefano has solved this...
> >
> > Stefano, could you please put this into the FAQ. Seems
> people are hitting
> > this wall over and over again...

I'm pretty sure it's detecting jdbc3.present, as I've put <echo>'s into the
build.xml as per someone else's recent cocoon-users mailing list message
I think Stefano's thing was for someone to go back to use 1.3.1 when their
1.4 had been inadvertently left in winnt\system32

I WANT 1.4 and I seem to be getting it in that I have to UNCOMMENT the lines
to get it to compile !

But then I get the failure is at runtime

> > Thanks
> > --
> > Torsten

What I'm wondering is if the dist source build is done using the ant task,
which perhaps does the commenting out then.
But then I take Michael's word for it.

But can I ask again - should esql:pool work with jdk1.4 ?