Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by "Ganesh, B (Nokia - IN/Bangalore)" <b....@nokia.com> on 2020/08/14 05:24:21 UTC

Info required for service upgrade

Hi ,

We have requirement to upgrade version of Nifi-cluster without incurring service downtime or without affecting data-loss.
For that, is it necessary to suspend the current template running in Nifi before start of the version upgrade activity? If yes, whether there is any programmatic way (i.e. through REST call or some other java API based mechanism) to suspend and resume the complete template running in Nifi?
If your answer is no to the former question, can you please point us to the relevant design documentation in Nifi internal which enables this nice functionality i.e. version upgrade possibility without service downtime and data loss in Nifi-cluster.

Thanks & Regards,
Ganesh.B

Re: Info required for service upgrade

Posted by Edward Armes <ed...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ganesh,

The most up to date instructions for upgrading Nifi can be found here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Upgrading+NiFi

To answer your specific questions:
Yes - It is required to suspend all activity on the entire Nifi cluster
before upgrading, and ensure that there is no data in the flows as it won't
be kept between migrations. The steps to do this without having data loss
during the upgrade is documented in the link above.

Yes - This can be done via Nifi REST API in fact any operation you can do
via the web ui you can do via the REST API. You can find the documentation
for this here: https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/rest-api/index.html

Both the dev and user mailing lists has plenty examples of how start
automating things in Nifi, a quick search through those lists might help
you hit the ground running.

Edward