Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> on 2014/10/02 02:35:29 UTC

Re: Solr Boosting Unique Values

: My current setup does not use the ImageUrl field for the search (more
: specifically as the default search field). The ImageUrl field contains a URL
: to the image which is for most part a GUID, which is meaningless to users.
: However, I would like to note that the ImageUrl field is Indexed and Stored.
:
: I'm curious how should I use tf() for the boost. On the face of it, it seems

the tf() function tells you the frequency of a given *term* in each
document ... for the context you have described -- boosting documents
based on the "uniqueness" of whatever single term they have indexed --
tf() isn't going to be that useful to you.

if however the "uniqueness" factor you are describing is ultimately due to
the fact that some products have their own images, while many other
products get a "default" image, and you know exactly what that default
image URL is -- then the tf() function (or more generally: the
termfreq() function) could help you, by telling you if/when a documen has
that specific image.  If this is the case however, then ideally you should
just index a boolean field "hasDistinctImage".

: image URLs are not part of the search terms. tf() seems to be what I am
: looking for, if I can get the current ImageUrl field value into the
: function.

I don't think there is anyway to do that.

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/