Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Alessio Pace <al...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/27 08:19:29 UTC

"Un-mavenize" a Maven2 project ?

Hi,

a project I'm working on is built by Maven2. It is a single module, it uses
M2 merely for dependency managament.

I have to let some students play with it as part of a lab project. Their
machines just have plain Eclipse, and the users are Maven-unaware, and I
can't afford to make them pre-install Maven or install it during the lab
session (too few hours).

What I wanted to do is to "un-mavenize" the project, creating a separate
source tree in the old fashion: without the pom.xml but with a libs
directory filled with all the jars my project depends on. Possibly also with
the Eclipse .project and .classpath files already configured (ok ok, this is
optional).

Thanks in advance for any suggestion on how to achieve that, or with
comments if you ever had to deal with such a situation (and possibly if you
want me to discourage to go with the un-mavenize process)

Regards,
Alessio Pace.

Re: "Un-mavenize" a Maven2 project ?

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 1:44 PM, Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de> wrote:
> but ant must be installed also before it can be used. And installing ant is the same effort than installing maven.
> So this will not add anything to his problem.

Ant is included when you install Eclipse. It's one of the reasons our
developers aren't exactly on board with our conversion to Maven. They
don't have to install Ant, and Maven's configuration isn't exactly
straight forward because of the changes you have to make to the
settings.xml file in order to use our local repository.

I publish the settings.xml, and I have a preconfigured Maven install,
but you can't beat something that's already included when you download
Eclipse.

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

Re: "Un-mavenize" a Maven2 project ?

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
All they have to do is unziping the maven.zip and set the PATH.

Really, all other options - _including_ manual eclipse project config and ANT setup - are _much_  more time consuming than this.

You don't even have to give them a share and create a logon for each of the students. Simply direct them to
http://maven.apache.org/download

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Ian Petzer <ia...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alessio,

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
Would Ant be okay to use?

You don't have to demavenize a thing -- just add a build.xml to your project.

We converted many of our projects from Ant to Maven, but still have
both the build.xml and pom.xml in the root directory. I even removed
the third party jars from our repository. Instead, I added Ant's <get>
task to the build.xml to fetch the needed jars. It is up to the tech
leads to decide whether to use Maven or Ant in our continuous build
process although more and more projects are now being built with
Maven.

Then again, installed Maven, set the settings.xml in the Maven
directory, then tarred it up and pass it out to the students. It's
pretty self contained. All they need to do is untar it somewhere, and
put a link to the "mvn" script into their PATH. That will allow the
students to learn Maven while they are at it.

Might as well let your students learn how to use Maven now while their
brains are still soft and moist rather than wait a few years after
brain hardening has started to set in.

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 2:19 AM, Alessio Pace <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> a project I'm working on is built by Maven2. It is a single module, it uses
> M2 merely for dependency managament.
>
> I have to let some students play with it as part of a lab project. Their
> machines just have plain Eclipse, and the users are Maven-unaware, and I
> can't afford to make them pre-install Maven or install it during the lab
> session (too few hours).
>
> What I wanted to do is to "un-mavenize" the project, creating a separate
> source tree in the old fashion: without the pom.xml but with a libs
> directory filled with all the jars my project depends on. Possibly also with
> the Eclipse .project and .classpath files already configured (ok ok, this is
> optional).
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestion on how to achieve that, or with
> comments if you ever had to deal with such a situation (and possibly if you
> want me to discourage to go with the un-mavenize process)
>
> Regards,
> Alessio Pace.

David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

Re: "Un-mavenize" a Maven2 project ?

Posted by Baptiste MATHUS <ml...@batmat.net>.
Using mvn dependency:copy-dependencies would just retrieve all your
dependencies quite simply. Then, it would just be a matter of seconds to
configure your eclipse project to use those downloaded jars.

Cheers

2009/2/27 Inman, Peter <pe...@mcpplc.com>

> You could get maven working from the command line in a few minutes.
>
> All your users do is unzip into a standard folder and if you pre-create the
> settings.xml, environment batch files and any other bits that people need,
> it only takes a few minutes. I did that with my small development team, and
> they managed to install it and get it working very quickly - and they have
> no Maven experience.
>
> Stick to the command line and forget about eclipse as it makes it much
> easier....
>
> Pete

Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !

RE: "Un-mavenize" a Maven2 project ?

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alessio Pace <al...@gmail.com>.

Re : Re: "Un-mavenize" a Maven2 project ?

Posted by Jean-François Mathiot <jm...@servebox.com>.
Hello Alessio,
Why don't you use assembly plugin to create the second project ?
Hope this helps.
Jeff
Jean-Francois Mathiot

Tel : 0 821 800 891