Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by cn...@nycap.rr.com on 2004/07/26 15:06:28 UTC

[users@httpd] What, exactly, is a "client"

I'm using Apache httd 1.3.29 and my httpd.conf includes:

  MaxClients 3

But this isn't doing what I expect in two respects.  First, I only seem to be able to connect from _two_ remote hosts.  Second, I seem to be able to start *any* *number* of browsers from a single remote host. Why does MaxClients not lock out multiple browsers on one host?  I'm testing with Mozilla 1.6 and IE 6.0.  Do those browsers do some funky threading and window management so that the server thinks multiple browser windows are really only one client?

TIA.

Re: [users@httpd] What, exactly, is a "client"

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 09:06:28 -0400, cnelson@nycap.rr.com
<cn...@nycap.rr.com> wrote:
> I'm using Apache httd 1.3.29 and my httpd.conf includes:
>
>   MaxClients 3
>
> But this isn't doing what I expect in two respects.  First, I only seem to be able to connect from _two_ remote hosts.  Second, I seem to be able to start *any* *number* of browsers from a single remote host. Why does MaxClients not lock out multiple browsers on one host?  I'm testing with Mozilla 1.6 and IE 6.0.  Do those browsers do some funky threading and window management so that the server thinks multiple browser windows are really only one client?

MaxClients limit the number of client connections.  Most modern
browsers do two things that prevent a one-to-one connection to browser
mapping:

1. They open multiple connections to each webserver so they can
download html and embedded images at the same time.  That explains why
you can't connect from three different computers.  The first two are
using more than one connection.

2. They limit the total number of connections to any one server.
Browsers do not open a new connection for every new window.  They
reuse existing connections.

Joshua.