Posted to log4net-user@logging.apache.org by ckantzer <ch...@amentra.com> on 2007/10/12 19:30:27 UTC

Using log4net with VistaDB

I am trying use log4net to write to a database.  The database we are using is
VistaDB.  I am able to write to a file correctly but I'm getting the
following error when i try to write to the VistaDB file:

log4net:ERROR [AdoNetAppender] Could not open database connection
[Provider=VistaDB.NET20;Data Source=C:\Documents and Settings\First Name\My
Documents\Visual Studio
2005\Projects\TestApp\TestDB.vdb3;OpenMode=NonexclusiveReadWrite]
System.InvalidOperationException: The 'VistaDB.NET20' provider is not
registered on the local machine.

I am using .Net 3.0.  The VistaDB product came with a .Net Provider
(VistaDB.NET20) and I can write records just fine in a test app using the
Data Source Wizard and a regular Windows DataSet.  For some reason I can't
get the log4net object to recognize the VistaDB provider.

My Config file is as follows:

  <configSections>
    <section name="log4net"
type="log4net.Config.Log4NetConfigurationSectionHandler, log4net" />

  </configSections>

 <log4net>
    <appender name="FileAppender" type="log4net.Appender.FileAppender">
      <file value="log-file.txt" />
      <appendToFile value="true" />
        <conversionPattern value="%date [%thread] %-5level %logger
[%property{NDC}] - %message%newline" />
      </layout>
    </appender>
    <appender name="AdoNetAppender_Access"
type="log4net.Appender.AdoNetAppender">
      <bufferSize value="1" />
      <connectionString value="Provider=VistaDB.NET20;Data
Source=C:\Documents and Settings\First Name\My Documents\Visual Studio
2005\Projects\TestApp\TestDB.vdb3;OpenMode=NonexclusiveReadWrite""/>
      <commandText value="INSERT INTO Log
([Date],[Thread],[newLevel],[Logger],[Message]) VALUES (@log_date, @thread,
@log_level, @logger, @message)" />
      <parameter>
lots of parameter stuff
      </parameter>
    </appender>
    <root>
      <level value="INFO" />
      <appender-ref ref="FileAppender" />
      <appender-ref ref="AdoNetAppender_Access" />
    </root>
  </log4net>

Re: Using log4net with VistaDB

Posted by ckantzer <ch...@amentra.com>.
There is plenty of info on how to add a connectionType for a MSSQL or Oracle,
but no help in figuring out what makes up a VistaDB connectionType.  Any
idea what information needs to go in the node?  Has anyone else got this
working?

Posted by ckantzer <ch...@amentra.com>.
That worked!  Thanks so much.  I tried using a connectionType earlier but
couldn't get the syntax correct, and I didn't know about the
AssemblyQualifiedName method.

Here's the final code that worked:

      <connectionType value="VistaDB.Provider.VistaDBConnection,
VistaDB.NET20, Version=3.2.1.41, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=dfc935afe2125461" />
      <connectionString value="Provider=VistaDB.NET20;Data
Source=C:\Hanson\Hanson.BillingRecon\data\LoggerFile.vdb3;OpenMode=NonexclusiveReadWrite"/>

Thanks again.