Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Kevin Burton <bu...@spinn3r.com> on 2015/02/13 22:50:13 UTC

determining the host that consumed/produced a message?

Using advisories, how do I determine the hostname/ip of the machine that
consumed a message?

Is it jus the producer ID? Can I set a custom producer ID somehow so that
it’s the hostname?

--

Founder/CEO Spinn3r.com
Location: *San Francisco, CA*

Re: determining the host that consumed/produced a message?

Posted by Kevin Burton <bu...@spinn3r.com>.
You know. I don’t think this is actually possible.

I think the ‘producer’ for advisories is actually the broker itself.  Which
makes sense.

So you can’t track down which host consumed or produced a message.

Kevin

Posted by Kevin Burton <bu...@spinn3r.com>.
On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 6:56 PM, Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu> wrote:

> Are you really looking for every message to result in a second message
> going to the advisory topic, especially at the volume you've described for
> your use cases?  This seems like a good opportunity to rethink this part of
> your solution (and we'll help of you'd like).

I appreciate it.  At the moment I’m fine in terms of raw message
throughput.  My issue so far has been the performance with LevelDB since
I’m using somewhat ephemeral queues.

It takes about 100ms to GC them which is my big problem at the moment.

I switched to using an in-memory broker and so far my performance has been
fine.

This is why I asked about the design of LevelDB there and see if there are
any obvious fixes.

Kevin

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.

Posted by Kevin Burton <bu...@spinn3r.com>.

Posted by Justin Reock <Ju...@roguewave.com>.
Hi Kevin,

For setting a custom ID, use the oft-overlooked ActiveMQConnection /
Connection setClientID() method.  Just be sure to use a unique one per
client, ActiveMQ will reject dupes.  I haven¹t used Advisories for that
before, but, setClientID is really useful for inventory.

Thanks,
Justin