Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sven Schleier <sv...@vantagepoint.sg> on 2016/06/01 02:16:45 UTC

Tomcat 8.5.2 Beta and HTTP/2

Hi mailinglist,

I just want to play around with the new HTTP/2 implementation of Tomcat 8.5.2 Beta. The tomcat instance is up and running and the h2 support is activated, according to the log during startup:

01-Jun-2016 01:57:52.544 INFO [main] org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Protocol.configureUpgradeProtocol The ["https-openssl-apr-8443"] connector has been configured to support negotiation to [h2] via ALPN

But when I try to connect via nghttp (command line client for HTTP/2), it tells me that h2 is not available.

➜  apache-tomcat-8.5.2 nghttp -v https://127.0.0.1:8443<https://127.0.0.1:8443/>
[  0.000] Connected
[ERROR] HTTP/2 protocol was not selected. (nghttp2 expects h2)
Some requests were not processed. total=1, processed=0

Here are the version details from Catalina log output during startup:

Server version:        Apache Tomcat/8.5.2
Server number:         8.5.2.0
OS Version:            3.13.0-74-generic
JVM Version:           1.7.0_80-b15
Java Home:             /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle/jre
org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener.initializeSSL OpenSSL successfully initialized (OpenSSL 1.0.2h  3 May 2016)

The server is running on Ubuntu 14.04 (AWS instance).

My Connector configuration looks like this:

    <Connector port="8443" protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol"
               maxThreads="150" SSLEnabled="true" >
        <UpgradeProtocol className="org.apache.coyote.http2.Http2Protocol" />
        <SSLHostConfig>
            <Certificate certificateKeyFile="conf/server.key"
                         certificateFile="conf/server.crt"
                         type="RSA" />
        </SSLHostConfig>
    </Connector>

Any idea why I cannot connect via HTTP/2?

Thanks and cheers,

Sven

Sven Schleier  | Senior Security Consultant
M: +65 9628 2082 | E: sven@vantagepoint.sg<ma...@vantagepoint.sg>

[cid:image001.png@01D1BBEE.B1D93DF0]

Vantage Point Security Pte. Ltd.
61 Ubi Road 1 | Unit 02 08-09 | Oxley Bizhub | Singapore 408727

Re: Tomcat 8.5.2 Beta and HTTP/2

Posted by Sven Schleier <sv...@vantagepoint.sg>.
Hi Chris,

When I use curl, I also get the same response via HTTP, not HTTP/2.

curl --http2 -k -v -g -6 https://\[::1\]:8443

I think I leave it for now. But thanks for your support.

Cheers,

Sven

Re: Tomcat 8.5.2 Beta and HTTP/2

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Tomcat 8.5.2 Beta and HTTP/2

Posted by Sven Schleier <sv...@vantagepoint.sg>.
Thanks for helping out Mark. If I have some time I will dig deeper into the issue, for now it’s ok.

Re: Tomcat 8.5.2 Beta and HTTP/2

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: Tomcat 8.5.2 Beta and HTTP/2

Posted by Sven Schleier <sv...@vantagepoint.sg>.
Hi Mark,

Re: Tomcat 8.5.2 Beta and HTTP/2

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: Tomcat 8.5.2 Beta and HTTP/2

Posted by Sven Schleier <sv...@vantagepoint.sg>.
Hi Chris,

➜  apache-tomcat-8.5.2 nghttp -vvvvv https://127,0.0.1:8443
[  0.000] Connected
[ERROR] HTTP/2 protocol was not selected. (nghttp2 expects h2)
Some requests were not processed. total=1, processed=0

I am not getting more information. Same behavior with hostname

Thanks and cheers,

Sven

Re: Tomcat 8.5.2 Beta and HTTP/2

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.