Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/25 19:49:24 UTC

kafka replication work status

Hi,

Just want to give people a quick update on the progress on kafka
replication. We have more or less finalized the replication design (
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/kafka+Detailed+Replication+Design+V3)
and I encourage everyone to take a look and send us additional
feedback/comment.

Most of the remaining work for replication is listed as subtasks
under KAFKA-50. Currently, we have people working on the following jiras:

KAFKA-46: Commit thread, ReplicaFetcherThread for intra-cluster replication
KAFKA-336: Admin RPC between controller and broker
KAFKA-335: Embedded controller
KAFKA-339: Multifetch for follower

The first 3 jiras are blocking most of other jiras related to replication
and we hope to have those resolved in the next couple of weeks. Before
then, the following jiras can still be worked on more or
less independently and we welcome  contribution from the community.
KAFKA-288: rework java producer API
KAFKA-289: reuse TopicData when sending produce request
KAFKA-329: Create topic support (revisit based on v3 design)

Thanks,

Jun

Re: kafka replication work status

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.
Prashanth,

As for timeline,  the current plan is to close kafka-46 and a couple of
system tests (kafka-341 and kafka-306) first, hopefully within the next
week or two. This will allow the basic replication to work (not all failure
cases will be handled properly). In the remaining phase 2, we will continue
to improve the failure cases and move to the controller-based
implementation. We hope to finish most of the phase 2 around end of Jul.
Depending on how many of the advanced stuff we want to add in the first 0.8
release, we may need another month or so to complete phase 3.

Going forward, I will try to send out regular email updates on the progress
and remaining jiras related to replication.

As for KAFKA-329, it would be great if you can take on that.

Thanks,

Jun

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 5:09 PM, Prashanth Menon <prashanth.menon1@gmail.com

Posted by Prashanth Menon <pr...@gmail.com>.