Posted to dev@wookie.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> on 2010/02/26 17:56:19 UTC

[Proposal] Connector sub projects

Now that we have a skeleton Java Connector Framework (which has now been
tested on a real Plugin for Simal [1]) I would like to propose the
creation of a new sub project for this code.

There are two main reasons for this:

Firstly if we keep the code in the main SVN tree then we force plugin
developers to have a dependency on the whole of Wookie. Really all they
need is the Connector Framework.

Secondly, we are a long way from being able to do a release of the
Wookie server (GPL dependencies) but it would be useful to do releases
of the connector framework (if only to make it easier to use in the
Simal project).

An additional reason is that if others implement connectors in other
languages we would need to put these outside the main tree anyway, so we
should really have a single place for all.

I therefore propose a new area in SVN:

trunk/connector/README
trunk/connector/java
trunk/connector/php
trunk/connector/python

Each of these folders would contain the necessary files to build and
release the relevant connector framework independently of Wookie and
other frameworks.

Comments/Questions?

Ross

[1] http://simal.googlecode.com

Re: [Proposal] Connector sub projects

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 26/02/2010 16:56, Ross Gardler wrote:
> Now that we have a skeleton Java Connector Framework (which has now been
> tested on a real Plugin for Simal [1]) I would like to propose the
> creation of a new sub project for this code.

I'm going to go with lazy consensus on this proposal and make the
necessary changes in the next day or so. The change will be reversible
if anyone chooses to object.

Ross