Posted to users@archiva.apache.org by Hilco Wijbenga <hi...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/30 23:05:23 UTC

Trying to run both Archiva and Continuum

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up both Archiva and Continuum on the same box. I
would like to have them run in the same Plexus instance and on the
same port number but that seems too complicated to accomplish (for me
:-) ).

I found an email by Arnaud Bailly ("Continuum+archiva in same
application") but the information seems out of date.

Giving up on one Plexus instance and a single port number ... how
about sharing the user database?

I changed the database location in plexus.conf (both in Archiva and
Continuum) and now both Continuum and Archiva use the same database
... but apparently not at the same time. I can run either Archiva *or*
Continuum but not both. The app that gets started last fails to
connect to the user database.

I had a look on the Plexus site to see if I could find anything there
(I assume I have to configure Plexus somehow to get this to work) but
no luck.

Would anyone be able to shed some light on this and/or point me in the
right direction?

Cheers,
Hilco

Re: Trying to run both Archiva and Continuum

Posted by thorque <th...@googlemail.com>.
Hello,

I have tried this at Tomcat 6 with success:

1. Define a GlobalResource in Tomcats conf/server.xml:

<Resource name="SystemUsers" auth="Container" type="javax.sql.DataSource"
           username="sa"
           password=""
           driverClassName="org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver"
           url="jdbc:derby:${devel.server.home}/databases/users;create=true"
/>

2. Create a ResourceLink in the context.xml of Archiva and Continuum:
<ResourceLink name="jdbc/users"
            global="SystemUsers"
            type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>

Now you can restart Tomcat. The UserDatabase will be started once and every
Webapp having a ResourceLink can reuse the database.
To avoid unauthorized access to this database it is useful to run a seperate
Tomcat instance for continuum and archiva.
An alternative to this is the use of a DB-Server (Oracle, MSSQL, MySQL,...).

Thorsten

Hilco Wijbenga-2 wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to set up both Archiva and Continuum on the same box. I
> would like to have them run in the same Plexus instance and on the
> same port number but that seems too complicated to accomplish (for me
> :-) ).
>
> I found an email by Arnaud Bailly ("Continuum+archiva in same
> application") but the information seems out of date.
>
> Giving up on one Plexus instance and a single port number ... how
> about sharing the user database?
>
> I changed the database location in plexus.conf (both in Archiva and
> Continuum) and now both Continuum and Archiva use the same database
> ... but apparently not at the same time. I can run either Archiva *or*
> Continuum but not both. The app that gets started last fails to
> connect to the user database.
>
> I had a look on the Plexus site to see if I could find anything there
> (I assume I have to configure Plexus somehow to get this to work) but
> no luck.
>
> Would anyone be able to shed some light on this and/or point me in the
> right direction?
>
> Cheers,
> Hilco

-----
Thorsten Kamann
Software-Architect, Coach

http://www.itemis.de
http://www.thorsten-kamann.de

Please visit the Fornax-Platform, the development platform for MDSD related
component and tools:
http://www.fornax-platform.org/

RE: Trying to run both Archiva and Continuum

Posted by LAMY Olivier <Ol...@accor.com>.
Hi,
Have a look here https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/sandbox/trunk/enterprise/enterprise-runtime/pom.xml .

This is a project which build this type of distrib.

Use the correct version for war dependencies (org.apache.maven.continuum:continuum-webapp and org.apache.maven.archiva:archiva-webapp).

Look at the plexus.xml file [1] and add a component :

    <component>
      <role>org.codehaus.plexus.contextualizer.Contextualizer</role>
      <role-hint>jettyConfiguration</role-hint>
      <implementation>org.codehaus.plexus.contextualizer.DefaultContextualizer</implementation>
      <configuration>
        <contextValues>
          <!-- shared http port -->
          <jetty.port>8080</jetty.port>
        </contextValues>
      </configuration>
    </component>

HTH,

--
Olivier

[1]https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/sandbox/trunk/enterprise/enterprise-runtime/src/conf/plexus.xml

P.S. I'm using the latests releases: Archiva 1.0-beta-1 and Continuum 1.1-beta-2.

On 8/30/07, Hilco Wijbenga <hi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to set up both Archiva and Continuum on the same box. I
> would like to have them run in the same Plexus instance and on the
> same port number but that seems too complicated to accomplish (for me
> :-) ).
>
> I found an email by Arnaud Bailly ("Continuum+archiva in same
> application") but the information seems out of date.
>
> Giving up on one Plexus instance and a single port number ... how
> about sharing the user database?
>
> I changed the database location in plexus.conf (both in Archiva and
> Continuum) and now both Continuum and Archiva use the same database
> ... but apparently not at the same time. I can run either Archiva *or*
> Continuum but not both. The app that gets started last fails to
> connect to the user database.
>
> I had a look on the Plexus site to see if I could find anything there
> (I assume I have to configure Plexus somehow to get this to work) but
> no luck.
>
> Would anyone be able to shed some light on this and/or point me in the
> right direction?
>
> Cheers,
> Hilco

This e-mail, any attachments and the information contained therein ("this message") are confidential and intended solely for the use of the addressee(s). If you have received this message in error please send it back to the sender and delete it. Unauthorized publication, use, dissemination or disclosure of this message, either in whole or in part is strictly prohibited.
Ce message électronique et tous les fichiers joints ainsi que  les informations contenues dans ce message ( ci après "le message" ), sont confidentiels et destinés exclusivement à l'usage de la  personne à laquelle ils sont adressés. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, merci  de le renvoyer à son émetteur et de le détruire. Toutes diffusion, publication, totale ou partielle ou divulgation sous quelque forme que se soit non expressément autorisées de ce message, sont interdites.

RE: Trying to run both Archiva and Continuum

Posted by Hilco Wijbenga <hi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hilco Wijbenga <hi...@gmail.com>.