Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/09 18:36:24 UTC

[VOTE] Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo as Tapestry Committer

Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo has been making a name for himself
actively mentoring users on the mailing list and submitting bugs and
patches. From private communications, he's eager to join the team, and
based on everything I've seen, I think he'll make a great asset. In
addition, he'll take the heat off of me for having the most
complicated name in open source development, which is a terrific
bonus.

Howard M. Lewis  Ship: +1 (binding)

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Re: [VOTE] Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo as Tapestry Committer

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 6:36 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo has been making a name for himself
> actively mentoring users on the mailing list and submitting bugs and
> patches. From private communications, he's eager to join the team, and
> based on everything I've seen, I think he'll make a great asset. In
> addition, he'll take the heat off of me for having the most
> complicated name in open source development, which is a terrific
> bonus.
>
> Howard M. Lewis  Ship: +1 (binding)

Massimo Lusetti: +1 (non-binding)

--
Massimo
http://meridio.blogspot.com

Re: [VOTE] Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo as Tapestry Committer

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
Em Tue, 10 Feb 2009 17:36:34 -0300, Filip S. Adamsen <fs...@fsadev.com>
escreveu:

> Oh, Thiago I can pronounce no problem. The trouble begins when I come to
> Figueiredo... a few too many vowels for my Scandinavian tongue. :D

PostgreSQL's site used to have an MP3 instructing users how to pronounce
its name. It was moved to their FAQ:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ.html#item1.1. Maybe I should do
the same in my website . . . hehehe But it doesn't matter, Brazilians are
used to call each other by first name, not family name, even in formal
situations. :)

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
http://www.arsmachina.com.br/thiago

Re: [VOTE] Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo as Tapestry Committer

Posted by "Filip S. Adamsen" <fs...@fsadev.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo as Tapestry Committer

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
Em Tue, 10 Feb 2009 16:55:35 -0300, Filip S. Adamsen <fs...@fsadev.com>
escreveu:

> I can actually pronounce your name... sort of. Thiago's? No chance. :P

At Heathrow's immigration department, the old woman there did the weirdest
pronunciation of my name I ever heard. I told her: "I guess you called me,
but I'm not sure . . ." hehehe.

Try chi-ah-go. Pronounce "chi" like the English word. Or the Italian word
"ciao", but put a 'g' before the 'o'. ;)

> But then I'm Danish.

I guess I can pronounce your name. :) This remembers me of the fact that
Brazilians can understand most of a (slow) conversation between Spanish
speakers (specially South American ones), but not the opposite.

Posted by "Filip S. Adamsen" <fs...@fsadev.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo as Tapestry Committer

Posted by Estevam Henrique Portela Mota e Silva <es...@gmail.com>.
*Estevam Henrique Portela Mota e Silva:* +1 (non-binding)

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo has been making a name for himself
> actively mentoring users on the mailing list and submitting bugs and
> patches. From private communications, he's eager to join the team, and
> based on everything I've seen, I think he'll make a great asset. In
> addition, he'll take the heat off of me for having the most
> complicated name in open source development, which is a terrific
> bonus.
>
> Howard M. Lewis  Ship: +1 (binding)
>
> --
> Howard M. Lewis Ship

Estevam Henrique Portela Mota e Silva
Handicapped Auditory = deaf
estevamota3@gmail.com / ehsilva@sfiec.org.br
Programmer Java and Tapestry
Brazil - Fortaleza / CE

Re: [VOTE] Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo as Tapestry Committer

Posted by Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr>.
Andreas Andreou: +1 (binding)

... and thx from all for the amazing job inthe users mailing list.

--
Andreas Andreou - andyhot@apache.org - http://blog.andyhot.gr
Tapestry / Tacos developer

Re: [VOTE] Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo as Tapestry Committer

Posted by Marcelo Lotif <ml...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Daniel Gredler <dj...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 12:36 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo has been making a name for himself
> actively mentoring users on the mailing list and submitting bugs and
> patches. From private communications, he's eager to join the team, and
> based on everything I've seen, I think he'll make a great asset. In
> addition, he'll take the heat off of me for having the most
> complicated name in open source development, which is a terrific
> bonus.
>
> Howard M. Lewis  Ship: +1 (binding)
>
> --
> Howard M. Lewis Ship

Daniel Gredler
http://daniel.gredler.net/

Re: [VOTE] Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo as Tapestry Committer

Posted by Ted Steen <te...@gmail.com>.
Ted Steen +1 (non-binding)

Posted by Daniel Jue <te...@gmail.com>.
Daniel Jue +1 (non-binding)

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.

Posted by "Filip S. Adamsen" <fs...@fsadev.com>.
No objections from here! It's always good to see more people joining the
project. :)

Filip S. Adamsen: +1 (non-binding)

Posted by Igor Drobiazko <ig...@gmail.com>.
even though I'm too late: +1 (non-binding)

The name is indeed very complicated :)

Re: [VOTE] Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo as Tapestry Committer

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
Em Mon, 09 Feb 2009 14:36:24 -0300, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>
escreveu:

> Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo has been making a name for himself
> actively mentoring users on the mailing list and submitting bugs and
> patches.

Well, I have never really submitted a patch, just 10 bugs and Brazilian
Portuguese translations for property files.

> From private communications, he's eager to join the team, and
> based on everything I've seen, I think he'll make a great asset. In
> addition, he'll take the heat off of me for having the most
> complicated name in open source development, which is a terrific
> bonus.

My complete name is Thiago Henrique de Paula Figueiredo. You can use it
instead of the shortened (?!) version if you want. :)

Posted by Robert Zeigler <ro...@scazdl.org>.
+1 (non-binding)

Robert

Re: [SUCCESS] Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo as Tapestry Committer

Posted by Marcelo Lotif <ml...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 5:23 PM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
thiagohp@gmail.com> wrote:

> Em Thu, 19 Feb 2009 17:13:30 -0300, Marcelo Lotif <ml...@gmail.com>
> escreveu:
>
>  No, I don't. I suppose it's lighter because to integrate toplink+JPA you
>> only have to download 2 jars, something like 5mb.When I tried to switch to
>> hibernate+JPA, I have to download a LOT more dependencies than toplink,
>>

> I thought you were talking of "lightweight" like they say Spring is lighter
> than EJB 2.x. :)
> Hibernate has more features than JPA, so it should have more code.
> Regarding number of dependencies, Maven takes care of that to me. :)

Well, when i first tried hibernate+JPA I was into Tapestry 4 and then there
was no maven. There was really difficult to integrate them 3, specially
because I had a previous experience with toplink. Since then, I have
personal bad feelings with hibernate. Nothing really reasonable.
And about the performance, I really don't have any clue about who's faster
:)

>  plus the dificulty of the process itself and the lack of documentation.
>>

> What process? Lack of documentation? Hibernate has one of the best
> documentations I've seen in open-source projects. And it does almost
> everything JPA does, using the same annotations and defaults, so I guess a
> JPA -> Hibernate transition should be easy. AFAIK, besides the JPA
> listeners, Hibernate is a proper superser of JPA.
>
>  seraching a little, I read somewere that toplink was a project made to
>> provide an easy JPA implementation, so that is the reason.
>>

> Being JPA a standard, I guess all implementations should be as easy to easy
> as each other . . . at least in theory. :)
>
>  To add some more advantage to toplink, I found a pretty useful "annotation
>> reference" guide that's better than anything I ever found into hibernate
>> documentation on the internet.
>>

> That's exactly the reference I use and the one I recommend to everyone. ;)
>
>  Since hibernate annotations are pretty much
>> the same as toplink/JPA,
>>
>> http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/ias/toplink/jpa/resources/toplink-jpa-annotations.html
>>

> Hibernate uses all the JPA annotations exactly like JPA does. In fact,
> Hibernate's own annotations are just used to deal with features Hibernate
> has and JPA doesn't (@CollectionOfElements, @BatchSize, etc). No Hibernate
> annotation overlaps JPA's ones (besides cascading options).

Well, I think we are heading to something outside this list intentions! This
is what I think: if there's sufficient people who cares about a tapestry-jpa
integration to justify the effort of doing it, that must be done! And with
one more person in the tapestry team, it will be easier.

Posted by Daniel Gredler <dj...@gmail.com>.
I believe JPA 2 will provide a criteria API :-)

--
Daniel Gredler
http://daniel.gredler.net/

Re: [SUCCESS] Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo as Tapestry Committer

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 5:27 AM, Filip S. Adamsen <fs...@fsadev.com> wrote:
> I don't know, I certainly don't feel old... but then I'm 23. ;)

I guess I'm in the middle here . . . I'm 28.

--
Thiago

Re: [SUCCESS] Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo as Tapestry Committer

Posted by "Filip S. Adamsen" <fs...@fsadev.com>.

Re: [SUCCESS] Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo as Tapestry Committer

Posted by Christian Edward Gruber <ch...@gmail.com>.
LOL.  A whipper-snapper!  Dammit - I'm only 36!  Why do I feel so old...

Christian.

Posted by Marcelo Lotif <ml...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcus Veloso <mv...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding) vote for Thiago Figueiredo as Tapestry Committer.

I agree with Marcelo Lotif about tapestry-hibernate. It's easy, powerfull
and stable.
I remember that Carlos Delfino, some time ago, started an integration
between T5 and JPA. ("experimental JPA Module/Service")

Cheers,

Marcus Veloso

Re: [SUCCESS] Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo as Tapestry Committer

Posted by Christian Edward Gruber <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hibernate was a very strong, possibly the strongest inspiration for
JPA, but Toplink as an approach is older, and people who were brought
up with Toplink/WebObjects/EOF/etc. tend to use Entity Manager
equivalents as a single central meta-dao (in my experience) rather
than the norm in the Hibernate world which has individual DAOs for
each type or for business processes.  That pattern of use causes some
problems if you try to use Hibernate that way without fixing issues of
session scope and re-attachment to the session in a web app.

This is now really heavily off-topic, but I didn't want to leave my
statement over-argued.  Mostly I wanted to just clarify that Toplink
wasn't built to satisfy the JPA, but is far far older.

Christian.

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Edward Gruber <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcelo Lotif <ml...@gmail.com>.
No, I don't. I suppose it's lighter because to integrate toplink+JPA you
only have to download 2 jars, something like 5mb. When I tried to switch to
hibernate+JPA, I have to download a LOT more dependencies than toplink, plus
the dificulty of the process itself and the lack of documentation. After
seraching a little, I read somewere that toplink was a project made to
provide an easy JPA implementation, so that is the reason.

To add some more advantage to toplink, I found a pretty useful "annotation
reference" guide that's better than anything I ever found into hibernate
documentation on the internet. Since hibernate annotations are pretty much
the same as toplink/JPA, I prefer to use it even if i'm using hibernate. See
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/ias/toplink/jpa/resources/toplink-jpa-annotations.html

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcelo Lotif <ml...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 4:38 PM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
thiagohp@gmail.com> wrote:

> Em Thu, 19 Feb 2009 16:25:35 -0300, Marcelo Lotif <ml...@gmail.com>
> escreveu:
>
>  and when I met tapestry-hibernate, I thought it was even easier that JPA,
>> and as a plus has some features that just hibernate has, like criteria
>>

> Criteria queries rules!
>
>  Maybe is just a lack of knowledge, but I don't see any advantages of a
>> tapestry-jpa module over the existent tapestry-hibernate, except the fact
>> that toplink is lighter (and maybe faster) than hibernate. Can someone
>> point me some?
>>

> I guess the point is to support JPA for the people who wants pure,
> non-Hibernate, JSR-starndard EntityManager-based ORM. And which one is
> better is not something that everyone will agree.

You're 100% right, but I thought there were deeper reasons for doing it,
like some gain in performance or some missing functionality.

> I'm on the Hibernate side, though. :)

Like you pointed out, that's definitely a matter of taste! I'm just using
tapestry-hibernate because it made the ORM thing a bit easier. :)

> --
> Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
> Independent Java consultant, developer, and instructor
> http://www.arsmachina.com.br/thiago

Marcelo Lotif
Sent from: Rio de janeiro Rj Brazil.

Re: [SUCCESS] Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo as Tapestry Committer

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcelo Lotif <ml...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I had some experience with both tapestry-hibernate and tapestry+JPA, and it
was something like this:

I thought hibernate was too complicated, but I was used to it
When I met JPA+toplink, I put it into my tapestry applications and I thought
it was easier than hibernate
and when I met tapestry-hibernate, I thought it was even easier that JPA,
and as a plus has some features that just hibernate has, like criteria

Maybe is just a lack of knowledge, but I don't see any advantages of a
tapestry-jpa module over the existent tapestry-hibernate, except the fact
that toplink is lighter (and maybe faster) than hibernate. Can someone point
me some?

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 12:28 PM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
thiagohp@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi, Thiago!
>
> Hi, Dmitry!
>
> > I've implemented my own lightweight API providing ORM/JPA functionality
> > tapestry application. I've just published the library sources here
> > http://code.google.com/p/keyintegrity-orm/
>
> I'll take a look at that. :)
>
> --
> Thiago

Marcelo Lotif

Re: [SUCCESS] Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo as Tapestry Committer

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, Thiago!

Hi, Dmitry!

Posted by Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Thiago!

I have some experience using T5 with JPA.

I've implemented my own lightweight API providing ORM/JPA functionality to
tapestry application. I've just published the library sources here
http://code.google.com/p/keyintegrity-orm/

I've tried to make this ORM implementation technology independent using my
previously JDO experience (though JPA implementation is only available ATM).

You can find basic T5 application design using the API and some code
examples within the presentations (there's the PDF version of it
http://dmitry.gusev.googlepages.com/introducing-keyintegrity-orm.pdf). Its
currently available in Russian only (I know there's a lot of Russian
developers here), but I hope you'll find the code from presentations
readable :)

The API provides transparent transaction support (framework user doesn't
matter of dealign with transactions) but as I've seen Spring guys says such
transaction support is an anti-pattern :) so I should probably change the
transactions implementation later and I'm looking forward to your
forthcoming work.

p.s.
That was my first T5 application and there's probably might be better
approaches of T5 application designs but 1) mine is implemented and 2)
deployed to production, and I'm proud I did it in T5 :)

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 05:53, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
thiagohp@gmail.com> wrote:

> Em Tue, 17 Feb 2009 23:45:15 -0300, Geoff Callender <
> geoff.callender.jumpstart@gmail.com> escreveu:
>
>  Great ideas and observations, Thiago. I especially like your points about
>> adopting the Java EE transaction annotations (and I'd like to see a
>> tapestry-jpa module), and modules for JFreeChart and JasperReports.
>>

> Hi, Geoff!
>
> Unfortunately, many interesting things to do, little time to do them at the
> moment. The T-IoC-based transation support is something I dream for a long
> time already. If you search the users mailing list, you will probabibly find
> one or two messages of mine talking about it . . .
>
> Writing a Tapestry-JPA module seems easy since the Hibernate one is already
> implemented. One more reason to have an implementation-agnostic transaction
> support. Another reason with Tapestry-Cayenne, that Robert Zeigler will
> bring to use soon. I have never used JPA itself, nor any EJB thing, so maybe
> there are some issues to tackle I don't even know yet.
>
> I hope everbody contributes with their ideas and even code. :)
>

> --
> Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
> Independent Java consultant, developer, and instructor
> http://www.arsmachina.com.br/thiago

С уважением,
Дмитрий Гусев

Re: [SUCCESS] Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo as Tapestry Committer

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geoff Callender <ge...@gmail.com>.
Great ideas and observations, Thiago. I especially like your points
about adopting the Java EE transaction annotations (and I'd like to
see a tapestry-jpa module), and modules for JFreeChart and
JasperReports.

Geoff

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
I think that's an excellent introduction and I look forward to your
contributions.

Speaking for myself, I've long wanted to introduce more CRUD behavior
into Tapestry, and tapestry-hibernate is only supposed to be the first
step down that line.

In terms of other integrations; those with proper licenses should be
supported as part of the Apache Tapestry project; others can live on
Tapestry360 (yes, it's still not quite ready!).

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.
Jesse Kuhnert: +1 (bindng)

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 9:36 AM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo has been making a name for himself
>> actively mentoring users on the mailing list and submitting bugs and
>> patches. From private communications, he's eager to join the team, and
>> based on everything I've seen, I think he'll make a great asset. In
>> addition, he'll take the heat off of me for having the most
>> complicated name in open source development, which is a terrific
>> bonus.
>>

> Binding votes:
>
> Howard M. Lewis Ship: +1
> Andreas Andreou: +1
>
> Non-binding votes:
>
> Robert Zeigler: +1
> Filip S. Adamsen: +1
> Daniel Jue: +1
> Ted Steen: +1
> Kevin Menard: +1
> Massimo Lusetti: +1
> Daniel Gredler: +1
> Marcelo Lotif: +1
> Estevam Henrique Portela Mota e Silva:* +1 (
> --
> Howard M. Lewis Ship

Jesse Kuhnert
Tapestry / OGNL / Dojo team member/developer

[SUCCESS] Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo as Tapestry Committer

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 9:36 AM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo has been making a name for himself
> actively mentoring users on the mailing list and submitting bugs and
> patches. From private communications, he's eager to join the team, and
> based on everything I've seen, I think he'll make a great asset. In
> addition, he'll take the heat off of me for having the most
> complicated name in open source development, which is a terrific
> bonus.

Binding votes:

Howard M. Lewis Ship: +1
Andreas Andreou: +1