Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Richard Gaywood <ri...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/11 16:33:15 UTC

Wishlist feature for discussion: should Transaction Controllers fail when a child fails?

Hi list!

One thing I've been doing a lot of lately with JMeter is wrapping a bunch of
samplers up behind a Transaction Controller then post-processing the
Transaction Controller to produce some pretty graphs (e.g.
http://gallery.eggwan.com/v/users/richg/forums/jmeter-output.PNG.html).
However, I've hit a snag. If, say, the second page in a three-page HTTP test
returns an error, graphs of the Transaction Controller cannot see this
failure because the Transaction Controller is always tagged as a success.

The neatest way I see to solve this is to change the Transaction Controller
to report success/fail based on the status of it's children samplers. Does
anyone think this would be a bad change, for some reason I haven't noticed?
Also, is it even possible? I haven't yet looked at the source code but I'm
unsure if a sampler can walk it's children samplers to poll their status --
does the code's namespace permit this?

Regards,

Richard

Re: Wishlist feature for discussion: should Transaction Controllers fail when a child fails?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Seems like a good idea to me; I don't think it would be all that
difficult, but I've not actually checked.

If necessary, the new behaviour could be controlled by a property.

At present, the TC sample is shown as an independent sample, with no
indication of the samples which it comprises. Seems to me it would be
useful to make the TC sample the parent of the subordinate samples (as
is done for HTTP redirects).

I've not looked at how easy this would be. But if it is easy, then it
should make it trivial to implement the original suggestion.