Posted to user@commons.apache.org by S James S Stapleton <st...@osu.edu> on 2008/11/25 18:00:38 UTC

FTPSClient/Auth issues

I have a sever (myserver), which I can log into via sftp/commandline from
cygwin or the *nix of my choice:
    $ sftp jim@myserver
    Connecting to myserver...
    Password: [my password entered here]
    sftp> exit

I am attempting to make a practice ftps link for another application. I am
testting with a command line app that lets me upload a file via command line
(I give my username, password, local file, and remote location via command
line). I know the password isn't secure here, but this is a small test
server and I change my password when testing.

The problem is, I keep getting the following error:
534 Kerberos Authentication not enabled.

The relevant output section looks like this:
    Attempting Connect. Authvalue: jim:[my pass]
    [TRACE]
    [TRACE]534 Kerberos Authentication not enabled.

    [TRACE]
    [TRACE]
org.apache.commons.net.ftp.FTPSClient.execAUTH(FTPSClient.java:188)
    [TRACE]
org.apache.commons.net.ftp.FTPSClient._connectAction_(FTPSClient.java:170)
    [TRACE]
org.apache.commons.net.SocketClient.connect(SocketClient.java:178)
    [TRACE]
org.apache.commons.net.SocketClient.connect(SocketClient.java:268)
    [TRACE] FtpUploadTest.connect(FtpUploadTest.java:231)
    [TRACE] FtpUploadTest.main_(FtpUploadTest.java:103)
    [TRACE] FtpUploadTest.main(FtpUploadTest.java:57)
    [TRACE]
    [TRACE] [message] 534 Kerberos Authentication not enabled.

    [TRACE]
    [TRACE] [cause] null
    [TRACE]
    [TRACE] [string] javax.net.ssl.SSLException: 534 Kerberos Authentication
not enabled.

    [TRACE]

The relevant snippet of code is:
    String security_method = "";
    int reply;
    if(FtpUploadTest.rem_secure)
        security_method = "TLS";
    FtpUploadTest.client = new FTPSClient(security_method);
    /*I have tried it with and without this next line*/
    FtpUploadTest.client.setAuthValue(FtpUploadTest.user_name + ":" +
FtpUploadTest.user_pass);
    System.out.println("Attempting Connect. Authvalue: " +
FtpUploadTest.client.getAuthValue());
    FtpUploadTest.client.connect(FtpUploadTest.rem_srvr);
    System.out.println("Connection complete");

The entire main block is put in a try, and sent to the following trace
function if there is an exception:
    public static void trace(Exception e)
    {
        StackTraceElement[] st = e.getStackTrace();
        System.out.println("[TRACE]");
        System.out.println("[TRACE]" + e.getMessage());
        System.out.println("[TRACE]");
        for(int i = 0; i < st.length; i++)
            System.out.println("[TRACE] " + st[i].toString());
        System.out.println("[TRACE]");
        System.out.println("[TRACE] [message] " + e.getMessage());
        System.out.println("[TRACE]");
        System.out.println("[TRACE] [cause] " + e.getCause());
        System.out.println("[TRACE]");
        System.out.println("[TRACE] [string] " + e.toString());
        System.out.println("[TRACE]");
    }

Any suggestions on what I should do or what I am doing wrong here? I can't
find anything that strikes me as relating to this situation in the docs, or
with google. I can't setup kerberos on the ftp server (running on an hpux
box). I have no idea why this works with the command line sftp client that
comes with any arbitrary flavor of unix, but not this api.

Thank you,
-Jim Stapleton