Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> on 2012/05/24 23:56:54 UTC

Re: Flume Graduation (was Re: June reports in two weeks)

On May 24, 2012, at 10:40 AM, Arvind Prabhakar wrote:

> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 12:19 AM, Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>wrote:
>
>> The ONLY issue I see for Flume to graduate is diversity.  No one will
>> convince me that the current makeup constitutes diversity of any kind.
>>
> Here are the committers who have been active in the past three months:
>
> * Brock Noland (Cloudera)
> * Hari Shreedharan  (Cloudera)
> * Jarek Jarcec Cecho (AVG Technologies)
> * Juhani Connolly   (CyberAgent)
> * Mike Percy (Cloudera)
> * Mingjie Lai (Trend Micro)
> * Prasad Mujumdar (Cloudera)
> * Will McQueen (Cloudera)
> * Arvind Prabhakar (Cloudera)
>
> There are four companies represented in this list: AVG Technologies,
> Cloudera, CyberAgent and Trend Micro.

According to that 66% of active committers are from one organization.

My understanding is that the diversity argument is to prevent one organization from causing the project to stall if they lost interest... see #2 in :
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Minimum+Graduation+Requirements
That, potentially, helps to develop ability to tolerate and resolve conflicts (#5) without resorting to corporate structures.

OTOH, graduation might actually help Flume get a more diverse community? Flume does seem to meet all other requirements...

So, the question is: does the project feel that there is no single company which is vital to the success of the project? If so, Flume seems ready.

Arun

PS: From my own experience: in the early days of Hadoop we were very concerned about not just #companies but also the percentage of representation and this, perversely, led to discrimination against folks from the majority contributor who were, actually, very qualified! *smile*
And no, I'm not saying that is the right thing to do! *smile*

Re: Flume Graduation (was Re: June reports in two weeks)

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 8:42 AM, Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Mingjie Lai's affiliation should be changed to Apple.
>

> Andrew,
>  Do you happen to know if Mingjie plans to continue contributing to Flume
> at Apple? Often a change of employer dramatically changes participation in
> projects.

Hi Owen,

You will have to ask him, however my guess is yes. I have hard Apple
is a big Flume user, but of course I can't be definitive.

Best regards,

   - Andy

Hein (via Tom White)

Re: Flume Graduation (was Re: June reports in two weeks)

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.
On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Mingjie Lai's affiliation should be changed to Apple.

Andrew,
  Do you happen to know if Mingjie plans to continue contributing to Flume
at Apple? Often a change of employer dramatically changes participation in
projects.

-- Owen

Re: Flume Graduation (was Re: June reports in two weeks)

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

    - Andy (@ Trend Micro)

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Wrong general@. :)