Posted to user@thrift.apache.org by T Vinod Gupta <tv...@readypulse.com> on 2012/01/06 03:20:05 UTC

how can thrift server know that client has timed out?

hi,
for a long running request, thrift client can timeout and abort the api
call to the server. in that case, it doesnt make sense for the server to
keep working since the client is gone.

are there any best practices/suggestions to deal with this kind of
scenarios?

thanks
vinod

Re: how can thrift server know that client has timed out?

Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.
The server doesn't really know what's going on from the client perspective,
and even if we could detect a failed client, not all application-level
thrift server implementations could actually be interrupted sanely. If you
really want to achieve this kind of behavior you're going to end up writing
a lot of crazy synchronization code, I think.