Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> on 2006/12/16 01:23:34 UTC

[VOTE] Release build 6.0.6 as alpha

Hi,

The vote is to release Apache Tomcat 6.0.6 as alpha.
The build is located here: http://people.apache.org/~remm/tomcat-6/v6.0.6/

Votes ?

Rémy

Re: Tomcat-6.0.6 - path attribute not honored in Context descriptor files.

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <ma...@schoenhaber.de>.
boris wrote:
> I know that it works according to the documentation but I can't
> ignore the fact that I believe it's wrong.

If you think the way Tomcat handles deployment is wrong, OK. But I don't think
you convince the developers (I'm not one, BTW) to change their point of view
by hijacking a thread and posting a "problem" report.

> If you look closer in
> the code of HostConfig.deployDescriptors() you note that others has
> missed the ability to set the context path and has hidden it in the
> filename which is neither portable nor documented.

1. I don't know whether this mechanism is supposed to be portable (in fact, I
strongly doubt it). If you think it violates the specs, you should quote the
correspondig passage which says it has to be done otherwise.
2. It's documented. I even quoted the relevant part of the documentation in my

>             File contextXml = new File(configBase, files[i]);
>             if (files[i].toLowerCase().endsWith(".xml")) {
>
>                 // Calculate the context path and make sure it is unique
>                 String nameTmp = files[i].substring(0, files[i].length() -
> 4); String contextPath = "/" + nameTmp.replace('#', '/'); if
> (nameTmp.equals("ROOT")) {
>                     contextPath = "";
>                 }
>
> If you understand me I believe it's a mistake to tie the Context
> descriptors file name to the context path while there is a clean and
> documented way of defining the path in the context tag. In this aspect
> I believe the way it worked in TC-4.1 is to prefer and I ask you
> to reconsider it.

You could file an enhancement request in bugzilla.
Or, you could search the list archives. I'd consider it possible that you find
some explanation why the devs decided to change the way how the app-path is
set.

Regards
  mks

Re: Tomcat-6.0.6 - path attribute not honored in Context descriptor files.

Posted by boris <bo...@ipunplugged.com>.
I know that it works according to the documentation but I can't
ignore the fact that I believe it's wrong. If you look closer in
the code of HostConfig.deployDescriptors() you note that others has
missed the ability to set the context path and has hidden it in the
filename which is neither portable nor documented.

            File contextXml = new File(configBase, files[i]);
            if (files[i].toLowerCase().endsWith(".xml")) {

                // Calculate the context path and make sure it is unique
                String nameTmp = files[i].substring(0, files[i].length() - 4);
                String contextPath = "/" + nameTmp.replace('#', '/');
                if (nameTmp.equals("ROOT")) {
                    contextPath = "";
                }

If you understand me I believe it's a mistake to tie the Context
descriptors file name to the context path while there is a clean and
documented way of defining the path in the context tag. In this aspect
I believe the way it worked in TC-4.1 is to prefer and I ask you
to reconsider it.

Boris

Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> boris wrote:
>
>> The problem
>> is that the "path" attribute is ignored in the Context read from this
>> directory. Only Contexts defined in the server.xml file honors the
>> path attribute.
>
> That's not a problem. It's exactly the way it's meant to be:
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/context.html
>
> | The value of this field must not be set except when statically defining a
> | Context in server.xml, as it will be infered from the filenames used for
> | either the .xml context file or the docBase.
>
> BTW: for support questions you should post to the users list.
>
> Regards
>   mks

                              \\V//
                              (o o)
--------------------------ooO--(_)--Ooo-----------------------------
    You know you've achieved perfection in design,
        NOT when you have nothing more to add,
            but when you have nothing more to remove.
Boris Prochazka                 E-mail: boris@ipunplugged.com
Arenavagen 23, Box 101 60       http://www.ipunplugged.com
SE-121 28 Stockholm Globen      [home]   +46  8  - 6040786
                                [office] +46  8  - 7255919
SWEDEN                          [mobile] +46 70  - 5125122

Re: Tomcat-6.0.6 - path attribute not honored in Context descriptor files.

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <ma...@schoenhaber.de>.

Posted by boris <bo...@ipunplugged.com>.
Problem:
The "path" attribute in the Context descriptor file no used in
TC 5.5 and 6.0.

Background:
In an application deployment you whish to be able to install and
upgrade both tomcat and your WARS individually. In TC 4.1 this was
easily done by dropping a Context descriptor file in the webapps
directory. This Context descriptor contained beside local
configurations mainly what was deployed (docBase - which WAR) and where
it should be deployed (path - mount point for the WAR). Name of the
Context descriptor file was arbitrary except it had an '.xml'
extension.

The ability to drop Context descriptor files are now moved to the
$CATALINA_HOME/conf/[enginename]/[hostname] directory OK. The problem
is that the "path" attribute is ignored in the Context read from this
directory. Only Contexts defined in the server.xml file honors the
path attribute. Defining the Contexts in the server.xml file is though
discouraged of obvious reasons.

Boris

Re: [VOTE] Release build 6.0.6 as alpha

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Release build 6.0.6 as alpha

Posted by Martin Dubuc <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Don't tell me the .exe is in SVN :)

PROVIDED that the tagged sources are identical it should not be an issue.

I actually split httpd/win32-msi/ from the httpd/trunk for this very reason,
easier that the installer is a post-release vote artifact.

As Roy's pointed out recently elsewhere, we trust binary packagers to build
the real sources we tagged and tarred.  There's technically no real way to
verify this, so 'artifacts' of packaging shouldn't become a showstopper.

Q - is the source identical, and if so, retar and move on.  If not, then
reroll.

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:

>> The .exe installer looks really weired due to my fault
>> because I forget to rotate the left side image :(
>> Can you just rebuild the exe without retaging?
>
> The build is supposed to correspond to the tag, so it's not possible to
> fix it without a new tag.

I supposed it would end up with something like that.
Sorry again for messing the bitmap :(

Regards,
Mladen.

Re: [VOTE] Release build 6.0.6 as alpha

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The vote is to release Apache Tomcat 6.0.6 as alpha.
> The build is located here: http://people.apache.org/~remm/tomcat-6/v6.0.6/
>
> Votes ?

The .exe installer looks really weired due to my fault
because I forget to rotate the left side image :(
Can you just rebuild the exe without retaging?

Other the that...

+1

Regards,
Mladen.

Re: [VOTE] Release build 6.0.6 as alpha

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Mark Thomas wrote:
>> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The vote is to release Apache Tomcat 6.0.6 as alpha.
>>> The build is located here:
>>> http://people.apache.org/~remm/tomcat-6/v6.0.6/
>>
>> +1
>>
>> I keep meaning to say great job on the new build. Much faster than 5.5.x
>
> I don't see how it's faster (it should use less memory, however). Which
> tests did you do exactly ?

Sorry, should have been clearer. I meant the build process rather than
the result ;)

Re: [VOTE] Release build 6.0.6 as alpha

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The vote is to release Apache Tomcat 6.0.6 as alpha.
> The build is located here: http://people.apache.org/~remm/tomcat-6/v6.0.6/

+1

I keep meaning to say great job on the new build. Much faster than 5.5.x

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release build 6.0.6 as alpha

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Henri Gomez schrieb: