Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Mirosław Hankus <M....@ce3.pl> on 2005/03/10 10:47:43 UTC

treemenu license

Hello  !

  Lenya (1.2.2) uses treemenu (http://www.treemenu.net/). I base this
assumption on  src/webapp/lenya/xslt/info/root.xsl (there is a link).
I can't find any license information for this code (It is not mentioned
in "legal" directory). Web page of treemenu (http://www.treemenu.net/)
states
that this code is not free. (Free version must display info about
treemenu which in lenya is hidden by using style "display:none").
Does anyone know how does it apply to all other licenses ??
I think that there should be any info in "legal" directory

Best regards
  Mirek Hankus

Re: treemenu license

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Mirosław Hankus wrote:

> Link was removed using "display:none".  In my opion using this
> "changed" code is illegal.

if so, then we should definitely do something about it. I guess  nobody
meant to do something illegal, but
I think we all understand that we have to take action

>> We could also backport the XMLHTTP version from 1.4 which should be
>> homegrown
>
> I have not worked with 1.4, but if there is some replacement then I
> would suggest using it.

yes, I will write an email about this shortly. I guess we also should
remove the existing releases and do another release, e.g.

1.2.2.1 or even 1.2.3

Thanks

Michi

--
Michael Wechner

Re: treemenu license

Posted by Mirosław Hankus <M....@ce3.pl>.

Michael Wechner napisał(a):

> Mirosław Hankus wrote:
>
>> Hello  !
>>
>>  Lenya (1.2.2) uses treemenu (http://www.treemenu.net/). I base this
>> assumption on  src/webapp/lenya/xslt/info/root.xsl (there is a link).
>> I can't find any license information for this code (It is not
>> mentioned in "legal" directory). Web page of treemenu
>> (http://www.treemenu.net/) states
>> that this code is not free.
>

> oh, that would be bad. I am not sure who implemented it in the first
> place and why it has been forgotton
>
>> (Free version must display info about treemenu which in lenya is
>> hidden by using style "display:none").
>

> does that mean Lenya would just have to mention it within the "HTML"
> in order to use it?

Here are answers from treemenu.net page.

*Q:* *Can I remove the small link above the JavaScript tree menu?*
*A:* You cannot simply remove the link, because the script will not work
properly, but you may upgrade to a paid version that does not show the
link. The functionality is exactly the same between the two versions,
only the link is removed.

A page has been created that automates the whole process of downloading
the upgrade:

https://www.regnow.com/softsell/nph-softsell.cgi?item=6028-1

The purchased ZIP includes instructions on how to go about removing the
link.

If you just want to know the price, or to get more information, but are
not yet ready to upgrade, follow the link
<https://www.regnow.com/softsell/nph-softsell.cgi?item=6028-1> anyway;
it will not immediately start a transaction.

If you are a corporate user, see also the next question.

*Q:* *The pages I am building are for a corporate or institutional web
site (not private/personal), can I still use the free version of the
script (the version with the small link on top)?*
*A:* Corporate users in general are encouraged to upgrade (see previous
question to learn how to upgrade.) If the site you are building is not
public, i.e. if it is only going to be visible on the intranet of the
company, then, more than encouraged, the upgrade is strongly recommended.

Re: treemenu license

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Mirosław Hankus wrote:

> Hello  !
>
>  Lenya (1.2.2) uses treemenu (http://www.treemenu.net/). I base this
> assumption on  src/webapp/lenya/xslt/info/root.xsl (there is a link).
> I can't find any license information for this code (It is not
> mentioned in "legal" directory). Web page of treemenu
> (http://www.treemenu.net/) states
> that this code is not free.

oh, that would be bad. I am not sure who implemented it in the first
place and why it has been forgotton

> (Free version must display info about treemenu which in lenya is
> hidden by using style "display:none").

does that mean Lenya would just have to mention it within the "HTML" in
order to use it?

We could also backport the XMLHTTP version from 1.4 which should be
homegrown

> Does anyone know how does it apply to all other licenses ??
> I think that there should be any info in "legal" directory

actually yes.

Thanks

Michi

> Best regards