Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2020/12/03 05:39:59 UTC

Flash Player end of life

Hi,

I notice on [1] it states this:
In December, Chrome 55 will make HTML5 the default experience, except for sites which only support Flash

Which I assume means a URL ending .swf?

And on [2] it states:
Since Adobe is no longer supporting Flash Player after the EOL Date, Adobe will block Flash content from running in Flash Player beginning January 12, 2021 to help secure users’ systems.

If this is correct? If so that give a very limited window for "sites which only support Flash” to work.

Does anyone know anything different?

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://blog.google/products/chrome/flash-and-chrome/
2. https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/end-of-life.html

Re: Flash Player end of life

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I would already be interested in how Adobe can make the flash player no
> longer play SWF.

I believe recent versions of the flash player have this feature built into them. I was pointed to this thread [1] which include info about how to change mmc.cfg to disable uninstalling and updating and add a white list.

Something like this:
EOLUninstallDisable=1
SilentAutoUpdateEnable=0
EnableAllowList=1
AutoUpdateDisable=1
ErrorReportingEnable=1
AllowListUrlPattern=http://localhost/ <http://localhost/>

For more info on the options see chapter 4 in [2]

> Also, in any case I believe that Adobe Air stays unaffected by this as well
> - and it's terribly easy to migrate a Flex Web Application to a Flex
> Desktop Application with Air. Does anybody know whether any of the EOL
> actions also apply to the Air runtime?

My understanding is that they do not.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://community.adobe.com/t5/flash-player/adobe-flash-availability-after-2020/td-p/10929047?page=1 <https://community.adobe.com/t5/flash-player/adobe-flash-availability-after-2020/td-p/10929047?page=1>
2. https://www.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/devnet/flashplayer/articles/flash_player_admin_guide/pdf/latest/flash_player_32_0_admin_guide.pdf <https://www.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/devnet/flashplayer/articles/flash_player_admin_guide/pdf/latest/flash_player_32_0_admin_guide.pdf>

Re: Flash Player end of life

Posted by John Cunliffe <ma...@gmail.com>.
I would already be interested in how Adobe can make the flash player no
longer play SWF. For new versions this might work, but I don't think older
versions have this functionality yet. Thus I assume that older flash
plugins should still work, and equally that running in the Flash Projector
should still work.

However Adobe will no longer support Flash Plugin downloads, recommend
uninstalling, and there will be security updates for all OS which
effectively removes the browser plugins. Again, Flash Projector should stay
unaffected, right?

Also, in any case I believe that Adobe Air stays unaffected by this as well
- and it's terribly easy to migrate a Flex Web Application to a Flex
Desktop Application with Air. Does anybody know whether any of the EOL
actions also apply to the Air runtime?

kind regards
John

--