Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Dave <da...@max-imp.com> on 2005/04/26 21:58:33 UTC

publication templating in 1.4

I am new to Lenya so this question is probably extremely lame, but as
far as I see it publication templating simply falls back to different
'versions' of a file if one for the specific publication doesn't exist.

Why don't we just use symlinks? So instead of ever looking for these
files in the level of Lenya we simply look inside the publication who by
default have symlinks setup. This would give extreme control over where
the files reside and make it really easy to see what file is being used
if the publication doesn't have its own special one.

I am sure I am missing something since I don't understand why we need to
implement the Instantiator interface either.

Dave

Re: publication templating in 1.4

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Dave wrote:
> I am new to Lenya so this question is probably extremely lame, but as
> far as I see it publication templating simply falls back to different
> 'versions' of a file if one for the specific publication doesn't exist.
>
> Why don't we just use symlinks? So instead of ever looking for these
> files in the level of Lenya we simply look inside the publication who by
> default have symlinks setup. This would give extreme control over where
> the files reside and make it really easy to see what file is being used
> if the publication doesn't have its own special one.

symlinks are not platform independent and assume file system storage,
for one