Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Mustafa AKIN <mu...@gmail.com> on 2017/07/14 10:51:48 UTC

Exported metrics by Datadog/Statsd cannot be grouped due to varying metric name

In my machine, metrics from task manager are currently exported to Datadog
as:

"localhost.taskmanager.9fbab10326796246e65034ca260516ce.Status.JVM.GarbageColl..."

However, using this metric name causes software to treat them as different
metrics, and I cannout group by/aggregate across many hosts. It would be
much better, if they could export with "taskmanager" metric name, and
hostname within the tags. I also exported to both statsd and graphite for
InluxDB and the situation is same.

I would be willing to send a pull request, if you would like.

Mustafa Akın
www.mustafaak.in

Re: Exported metrics by Datadog/Statsd cannot be grouped due to varying metric name

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.
If you're using the StatsDReporter there is currently no way to use
tags. There is an open PR to
add support for tags though: https://github.com/apache/flink/pull/4188

For DataDog specifically we have a separate DatadogReporter that uses
tags. For this reporter
the metric name can be configured using scope formats, as described in
the metrics documentation
<https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.4/monitoring/metrics.html#scope>.